Cat licking furniture

Tlifter

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi! I have noticed for awhile but haven’t thought much about one of my cats periodically licking furniture. He “usually” licks a chair he likes to sit in. It’s not common, but he does do it. He “usually” does it at the same time he cleans himself. I have read about pica. I have a 2nd cat and he loves her so he can’t be that stressed, right? Thanks for the help.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Tlifter

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
He doesn’t eat non-food things.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. I don't think it is a sign of pica, based on what you have told us. It might have to do with the kind of material that the chair covering is made of. Or, more likely, it is probably by pure accident, since he is cleaning himself. Feeby will lick furniture (or me) if she happens to 'over run' the body part she is cleaning.

Tlifter

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
He sometimes licks licks himself then licks the chair for a few seconds maybe minute then continues licking himself so its not always by accident.

Tlifter

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The chair has a slightly rough cloth cushion all around it. It was clearly designed to be slightly rough, but still plenty soft to sit on.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
If that is the only thing he licks, perhaps there is a stain protective coating on the chair material, or a cleaning solution that he either likes to smell/taste. Maybe, it is even the texture of the material that he likes?

Mr. Meow

Special needs cat expert.
Super Cat
Purraise
I have a cat who licks windows, and one who tries to lick the dishwasher...then again I have a house full of special needs cats. Pretty sure you're good as long as it's not obsessive or causing harm.

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Mine will lick my dresser occasionally and chew on cardboard boxes. She's a weirdo, but that's pretty much all so I don't worry overmuch about pica.

buddy_tj

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Licking random things can be a sign of anemia too. I had my cat licking dishwasher for months before he was diagnosed with anemia. Once he got the blood transfusion, he stopped. If it were my cat, I would get a PCV check done just to be on the safe side.