Cat licking fur from stomach-area

dkb817

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Frequent board-lurker, first time poster.  Bear with me, as this may be a bit long winded.

About three years ago, we adopted my cat, Ally, from the local humane society.  She (at the time) was a 2-3 year old DSH Tortie, who was incredibly unique with two different colored eyes (one green, and the other an orange color).  The humane society warned us that she had some issues with Ear Mites that had been treated, a small scar on her stomach from being spayed where the fur wouldn't grow in normally.  For close to three years, we had no problems with Ally outside of the occasional eye infection (A different vet said she was mostly blind in the orange eye and would forever be prone to eye infections).  I'll admit that we were lax on taking her for vaccinations, after our previous cat nearly dying during routine vaccinations at the same veterinary clinic we would be taking Ally to.  She also never gets along with the cat who was in the home before her, both of them being "Alpha" cats.  With our other cat (a tabby named Scratcher) nearing the age of 18, we chose not to stress them out and have been keeping one cat downstairs, and Ally stays upstairs with me.  

In February, she began having constipation issues with a slight tinge of blood.  One visit that totalled nearly $230 later, she was up-to-date on her vaccines, and had been put on a regular dose of Lactulose.  After some trial and error, we have decided that she will probably need to be on the Lactulose for the rest of her life - not a big deal, as it's only $8 or so to get refilled and the bottles the vet gives us are relatively large.  

About a month ago, I noticed that she had licked an entire patch of her stomach bald, right where her spay scar is.  We took her to the vet again, which is a task for quite a few reasons.  The vet is 30 minutes from where we live, we've been dealing with our own medical appointments, and Ally hates the vet.  When I say hates, I mean she spits, claws, and makes the saddest, most heart-wrenching sounds you have ever heard.  The last three times I have been there and heard it, I have started crying right in the exam room.  With Ally fidgeting so much, the vet didn't even bother looking at her stomach - said that she was fighting her too much (the vet never called for an assistant or anything), but swabbed her ears and said it was a Yeast Infection.  She was given some sort of shot that would help with the itching and some ointment to put into her ears (Otomax, I believe).  Her exact words were "It says 4-5 drops, but with your cat being so darned fidgety, just get a squirt in there.".  The fur had started to grow back - but once the shot wore off, she went right back to licking her stomach and an even bigger patch of fur is gone.  The vet is now telling us to bring her in yet again, that she wants to give her some sort of drop/solution that she would put way down in Ally's ears, but that it would burn.  I am the kind of person who cries when animals get hurt in movies, I do not like the idea of giving my cat a medication that will cause her pain without a guarantee that it will even work.   The vet keeps dismissing our concerns and insisting we bring her in, even though we've made very clear that we cannot do so.  She suggested that we put her on a flea preventative, which is odd because we've told her many times that both cats are indoor-only.  If we had fleas, we'd know.  We've gone through it before, and are all pretty sensitive to the flea bites.  

My dad is going through Chemotherapy and radiation right now (was diagnosed with cancer April 5) - and all of our resources go towards that.  We cannot afford to be taking Ally back and forth to the vet without a guaranteed fix, when the office fee along is $40-50 every visit.  

Does anyone have any suggestions on what to do to keep her from licking her belly raw? Is it a yeast infection or could it be mites? Do you think it could just be stress or boredom?

(sorry for the long post - just a little upset that it seems like our vet is so easily dismissing our concerns)

vball91

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Between the constipation, yeast infection ears and licking a bald spot on her stomach, I would first look at her diet. What exactly are you feeding, dry, wet, combo? Which brands?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

dkb817

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
She is purely on dry food - Purina Cat Chow Naturals plus Vitamins & Minerals.   We've tried canned food, but she throws it up every time, no matter how small of an amount we give her.  According to the vet, some cats just can't tolerate wet food, and she's one of them.

She also gets fed 10 small treats a night - Friskies Temptations.

dkb817

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I should also point out that she has been using the same litter and eating the same food for well over two years now.  The only way it would have changed is if the formula changed.

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
I think this is more of a health issue and would like to ask a mod to move it to that area.

Having said that, can you think of anything that may have happened about a month ago that could have upset her, even if it seems minor?  It sounds like she may be 'worrying' her old scar as a stress response.

Some people here have found colloidal silver really good for ear mites, but, as I said, you'd be better off over in health.

Your vet sounds pretty dismissive.  And it truly isn't a good idea to have a cat on no wet food.. diet issues show up as the cat ages. The lack of fluid starts to affect organs.

I do know what you mean about your cat throwing up.. my cat often does that with wet food, but I've found things that she will keep down.. there will be something, I promise you.

Temptations have negligable nutritional value and are full of other stuff that may cause problems.  Would it be possible to swap to a different treat that is just pure liver or something similar?

Let's see if anyone else can help.

vball91

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I think that something in either the dry food or the Temptations (or both) is causing a general inflammatory response. The species-inappropriate ingredients in both are likely causing a system-wide allergenic response. The problem is there are so many ingredients, it's impossible to figure out, so I would try eliminating as many as possible with a limited ingredient, novel protein wet food. Do the food intro slowly. It makes no sense to me to say a cat can't tolerate wet food at all. This cat clearly has issues with some ingredients, so there may be things in each food that sets off a reaction. It is going to be difficult to find a food that works, but diet is definitely a factor here.

dkb817

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The part I don't understand about it being a reaction to her food or treats is that these are the same food and treats that she has been receiving for well over two years now.  Wouldn't she have had some kind of reaction to it before?

vball91

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Allergies develop over time. No one has a reaction to something the first time. Also, if it's not a true allergy but something that is causing inflammation/irritation from non species-inapprpriate ingredients like grains, that irritation may take some time to build to the point where you start noticing a reaction to it.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Did you suspect an ear infection when you took her to the Vet.  I'm just curious because there was no mention of that as a reason why you took her in so I guessed that you took her in because of her bald tummy.  So why did the Vet swab her ears in the first place?  Not too much of this is making sense UNLESS the Vet put two and two together and realized that two signs of food allergies are 1) itchy skin and 2) ear issues!  But if that were the case, then why didn't he recommend a change in diet?  PLUS, you'd already taken poor Ally in for chronic constipation, which is caused by (guess what)......diet!  Eating dry food is probably the number one cause of constipation in cats.

So.............if you can transition her to a good quality canned food, you may be able to solve ALL her issues at once. Now, I know you said she throws up every time you try to feed her canned food, and your Vet said some cats just can't tolerate canned food.  To that I say, "balderdash
" .   Now I'm not saying she hasn't thrown up every time you have fed her canned, but I AM saying that maybe it's what you've fed that she hasn't liked.  For instance, I feed my cats raw, and they tolerate it very well, but one day I gave them a venison/elk mix, and while Darko was still eating it, he threw it up
.  He liked it, but it didn't like him

Can you tell us exactly what canned foods you have tried that didn't agree with her.  I would definitely try to get something as Vball suggested, with very limited ingredients.  Nature's Variety makes a limited ingredient line and might be a good place to state.  I would definitely make sure whatever I tried was grain free)  To clear out her system for just a couple of days you might even try just giving her plain turkey baby food.  (I'd steer clear of chicken if possible).  Also, someone recently said Gerber puts cornstarch in their baby food, so I'd steer clear of that.  You just want PLAIN meat and broth...nothing else in it.  This isn't nutritionally complete, but you could get away with it for a few days, just to give her a break between the kibble and trying her out again on a NEW grain free canned food (preferable NOT chicken either
)

frimousse

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi! One of my cats had a severe constipation problem such that I had to give him enemas almost weekly. I had tried many foods without success. Finally my vet suggested Royal Canin Fiber Response for cats. He has been on that ever since without any problem. The main ingredient in that is psyllium. More info here:

http://www.royalcanin.co.uk/product...ts/feline-veterinary-diets/fibre-response-dry

As well, I would not feed those treats to the cat. I read lately that they may contain stuff that is bad for cats' kidneys.

I hope your cat gets better soon and that you find another vet to treat your cat.