Cat licked stitches after neuter

becca1234

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi everyone,

My cat was neutered on Thursday and has been wearing a collar since. I went into the room she was staying in and she had managed to get her collar off and had been licking her stitches! They have come out slightly but i’m unsure and a bit worried about the damage she may have done! Unfortunately can’t get her to a vet until Monday and the emergency vet will charge me £200 just for an appointment if i get one this weekend!! Does anyone know if this looks bad? Should i get her to a vet? I have put the collar back on and tightened it so hopefully she cant do this again! It doesnt seem to be bleeding but looks a bit damp and sore! However, doesnt seem to be open and stitch may still be very carefully in place! If anyone has any advice that would be amazing!

Attachments

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think I agree with you that its not fully open. Probably the real issue is that it could become worse, that the procedure is much more serious for female cats, and that a fully open wound can be very serious, even fatal, for femal cats. And its only been a few days. I'd guess Monday is probably ok if you can keep checking it, but your certainly right to try to get better advice.

Hopefully someone more knowledgeable will chime in. This really shouldn't be in the Cat Behavior forum, there is a health forum, but they do get some of the same visitors. A mod will move it for you in time, but to speed it up you could message someone (look under the members tab for site staff).

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

becca1234

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I think I agree with you that its not fully open. Probably the real issue is that it could become worse, that the procedure is much more serious for female cats, and that a fully open wound can be very serious, even fatal, for femal cats. And its only been a few days. I'd guess Monday is probably ok if you can keep checking it.

Hopefully someone more knowledgeable will chime in. This really shouldn't be in the Cat Behavior forum, there is a health forum, but they do get some of the same visitors. A mod will move it for you in time, but to speed it up you could message someone (look under the members tab for site staff).
Apologies for posting it on here, I have a post in the health forum too, was just quite desperate for any advice really.

Yeah it’s definitely not completely open, hoping it stays that way. Luckily she only did this today so it’s only over a day to wait until I can book her in to see vet! I’m going to cover it over and check on it just so nothing can get into it incase. Thank you!

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
There are usually internal stitches as well as the external ones you see. It looks clean although slightly open. Watch for bleeding, weeping or pus, that will mean there is an infection but from the photo I wouldn't worry just make sure it stays clean, she cant get at it and keep her from jumping or being too energetic. Post another photo tomorrow if you are still concerned.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

becca1234

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
There are usually internal stitches as well as the external ones you see. It looks clean although slightly open. Watch for bleeding, weeping or pus, that will mean there is an infection but from the photo I wouldn't worry just make sure it stays clean, she cant get at it and keep her from jumping or being too energetic. Post another photo tomorrow if you are still concerned.
Ok thank you so much! I will definitely keep an eye out for that! Yeah I have put her collar back on and tightened it just slightly so she’ll hopefully not be able to pull it off again, and going to cover it over so nothing can get into it! She’s been sleeping ever since it happened thankfully, so not too energentic just yet although need to try get her to eat and drink! I will do! Thank you so much!