Cat Licked Citronella Oil..

Kitcat2017

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Please help!

My 1 year old got citronella deluted water on him and licked it off to clean himself! I was stupid enough to get it as a repellant and I was mixing it with water in a spray bottle and he tipped it over. Not too much got on him but he still licked it and smells like citronella and is so upset with me right now...

I feel super guilty.. please tell me he's going to be alright.. I love that little bugger and it's almost midnight and I don't know what to do!

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Call the vet ASAP. There's usually an after hours message with info on who to call for emergencies. If you know there'a a vet ER in the area, call them and ask for advice. They may tell you to bring the cat in for an exam since they can't do much over the phone. Vet ER fees are pricey so be aware of that.

Or call the ASPCA Poison Control number (888) 426-4435 They do charge a fee.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Kitcat2017

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I called his vet and she said since it's been 6-7 hours and he hasn't been acting weird he's fine!

But I'm still so so worried... do y'all know how long does it take for citronella essential oil to take effect? If he were poisoned or in shock would I have seen a sign by now? I'm at work but I'm trying to monitor him through live feed...
I feel terrible... he's such a good kid.. he didn't deserve that. I should have bathe him right away but I panicked and it didn't occur to me! I literally stood there and watched him lick it off his body...

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Kitcat2017

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Please help... I'll appreciate any info you might have to share.. I'm totally freaking out being stuck at work.