Cat Licked A Generous Portion Of Vape Liquid

naturaGodhead

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So my roommate had changed the coil on his vape, and dumped a decent amount of vape oil onto a plate on our coffee table. Before anyone could react, my cat jumped onto the table and took a big mouthful of the vape liquid. Not sure if he swallowed it but he screamed and started running around shaking his head because it tasted bad. Is it toxic to cats? Should I be worried? He hasn't thrown up and seems fine now but I'm just worried. It's too late to take him to the vet now today.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
If you dial the vet clinic regular number, they should provide an after hours emergency number. Call that and talk with them - see what they say.
Also, you could call/look up the poison control center...

FlawlessImperfection

Life isn’t perfect, and it’s lovely that way. ❤️
Alpha Cat
Purraise
You know what, this might be a worthy thing to mention site wide? Cats seem really drawn to vapes.
I have never ever smoked, but I have a vape for CBD oil for my health. It has no marijuana in it, it’s all natural and has no nicotine, just natural fruit flavor. I know that some have chemicals, THC, and nicotine, but mine is safe. Yet, Buttercup absolutely loves it, she comes running across the house if she hears it to sit and watch, the dog also does- but not every time. I’ve made sure it’s safe, I was so surprised, she likes the smell, she carefully sniffs the air constantly, watches the vapor, maybe she likes the sound too?
I know cats and dogs like antifreeze, because of the sweet smell, it got me thinking they may also like vapes for the same reason? I keep the pen and oil safe, but I’m sure some aren’t safe and it’s a good safety conversation since they are becoming popular.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Your cat most likely saw something on a plate (????) and thought it was for them. A lick most likely isn't harmful, but it COULD have been tragic. A lesson for us all!

Saf

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
If it contains Propylene glycol then that is very bad. Its very toxic to cats, worse than the nicotine. Even the vapour can cause feline asthma but ingesting it can cause acute renal failure. I vape and only use vegetable glycerine juice and only vape when standing at my back door.

Last edited: