Cat licensing and registering microchips in multiple registries

crazy4strays

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Both of my cats' microchips are registered in the Found Animals registry.

I like the Found Animal registry a lot. I can update information online and was able to upload photos of my cats, as well as fill in emergency contact information and veterinary information. However, is there any point to registering them with additional registries? Does that help in any way to have their information registered with multiple registries? Or does it just make it more confusing if they were ever found and scanned?

Also, when I was reading on the Found Animals page, they recommend that pet owners license their animals even if it's not required by law. What would be the point of licensing a cat if it's not required in your local jurisdiction? Would it help with ownership disputes? 

kayzee49

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I was doing research recently with registering my kittens' microchips and I found most places recommend registering at multiple locations. Some scanners only check certain registries so it's up to the shelter or vet to search others with the number if it doesn't show up. It makes me nervous to leave that decision up to someone else so I chose to register through my company (Avid) as well as Found Animals and Free Pet Chip Registry. I also registered them as "Home Safe" with their chip codes on Helping Lost Pets. In my opinion, I'd rather them come up under multiple sources with the same contact information then not come up under any at all. 

As for licensing, I don't really know. Mine are not currently licensed but I'm sure it could help if they were to get lost, as another way to get ahold if you if they're found. I do know that the fees usually go to help the local pet shelters, SPCA organizations, animal law enforcement and emergency rescue groups so in some areas it sounds like it's also a donation of sorts. I live in Chicago, so there's no place to license a cat with the city.

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Jasmine is registered with Home Again. I'm signed up so that every time someone loses a pet with a Home Again chip in my area, I get an email alert with information about the missing pet — kind of an Amber Alert for pets.

I had no idea you could register a chip with more than one company, but if they all offer networks like the HomeAgain PetRescuers, that's a lot more people seeing a missing pet poster and keeping their eyes open for your cat. I'd say "Go for it. Register in as many places as possible."

I don't know where you live, but if your pet is lost and wanders across stae lines, it may really need that rabies tag. Also, an up-to-date rabies tag says three things to anyone who finds your pet:

1. Whoever owns this pet must love it very much, to spend extra money that isn't legally required.
2. It's safe to rescue this animal. Neither I nor my pets will get rabies from it. (Remember the defense of that cat murdering arrow shooting vet? She thought she was protecting her own animals from rabies. She wasn't, of course, but if Tiger had been wearing a rabies tag it would have taken away her excuse.)
3. I don't need to have my vet give this cat a rabies shot. (Excess rabies shots aren't good for cats.)

Yes, I believe the extra expense of a rabies tag is an excellent idea, assuming that is what you mean by "licensing."

Margret

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

crazy4strays

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My cat Tiger wears a tag currently that has his name, the fact that he is chipped, his microchip number, and our phone number on the front. On the back of the tag, it states that he's an indoor cat and lists the name and phone number of our vet.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

crazy4strays

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I found a great solution to the licensing conundrum. The TSC vet clinic where I get my cats PureVax rabies shots gives out free rabies tags. They aren't a license, but are there for the purpose of visual proof of current rabies shots, which suits my purposes nicely.