Cat less affectionate on Prozac

achristine

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My husband and I just put our one boy-cat, Bear on fluoxetine (Prozac) after he got over a bout of idiopathic cystitis due to the vet believing his condition was partly due to stress. We have him switched to an all wet food diet now (using dry food as treats) and just started him on Prozac 3 weeks ago. It was also recommended that we use Prozac due to territorial aggression with our female cat, Pig. With some behavior modifications, some extra play time and some treats for reinforcements they are now able to cohabit on the same room. The only problem is, he used to be super affectionate with me and in particular my husband. He wants nothing to do with my husband now and tolerates me well enough and will play with toys (da bird) and enjoys getting brushed. I'm wondering if he will always be so standoffish of if it is an adjustment period? Has anybody else had this same experience with Prozac and cats behavior changing so radically in this manner?

roguethecat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have used something similar to Prozac (sertraline) on the Rogue in a desperate attempt to stop him spraying and attacking his lil' bro. It worked, to a degree, since both of them were on it. Major change was Grisou finally standing up for himself. 

I didn't notice any changes in affection in either one of them.

Would it be possible to reduce the dosage of Prozac? Maybe just give it every other day and see what happens?

mybabies59

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I had a friend who experienced it and it affected cats differently. You get the effect you want as far as stress goes but then they can get standoffish. I hope you figure it out, I know its stressful.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

achristine

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have used something similar to Prozac (sertraline) on the Rogue in a desperate attempt to stop him spraying and attacking his lil' bro. It worked, to a degree, since both of them were on it. Major change was Grisou finally standing up for himself. 
I didn't notice any changes in affection in either one of them.

Would it be possible to reduce the dosage of Prozac? Maybe just give it every other day and see what happens?
So I started to split the pill in half. 2.5 mgs instead of 5mgs (which seems kinda high)? He also had a hard abdomen and I was scared he had become partially blocked (urinary) because he just was diagnosed last month with FIC. He's on all wet food now, primarily the Purina Pro Urinary Formula. But I noticed a lot less stool from all four of my cats after switching. So I looked up the crude analysis and realized that the dry food I had been giving them before contained magnesium (which they say isn't good for urinary crystals but does wonders for their intestines) and it also contained 6% fiber and the new wet food only has .2% fiber. Woah!! So I gave Bear a good 3cc of Laxatone. The next morning a big poo and one happy kitty!!

So I'm thinking of making a slippery elm paste and giving that to my kitties at least once a week. It is said to have anti-inflammatory properties, high in fiber, and helps with the urinary issues. I will keep you all updated! Thank you so much for responding!!

roguethecat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Best to stay away from fiber and laxatives (cats' intestines are way different than human ones - please don't believe industrial commercials, or what people say who are interested in selling you stuff).

A good idea is to increase  water intake. Cats don't have a thirst drive, they get water from the prey they eat. So you can dilute the wet food a bit. You could also invest in a higher quality food that has less cheap fillers (which are responsible for the constipation). I recommend the classic formulas of Fancy Feast, or if you are serious, ZiwiPeak or Hound And Gatos.

That said, slippery elm can provide short time relief from inflammation. Taken for more than two weeks it will interfere with the absorption of nutrients.

Any difference now with the reduced dose of Prozac?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

achristine

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Best to stay away from fiber and laxatives (cats' intestines are way different than human ones - please don't believe industrial commercials, or what people say who are interested in selling you stuff).
A good idea is to increase  water intake. Cats don't have a thirst drive, they get water from the prey they eat. So you can dilute the wet food a bit. You could also invest in a higher quality food that has less cheap fillers (which are responsible for the constipation). I recommend the classic formulas of Fancy Feast, or if you are serious, ZiwiPeak or Hound And Gatos.

That said, slippery elm can provide short time relief from inflammation. Taken for more than two weeks it will interfere with the absorption of nutrients.:cringe:

Any difference now with the reduced dose of Prozac?
Much better bring affectionate now that I reduced the mg of Prozac. But I think he was standoffish because he was constipated. So I am adding some fiber to their diet for now because there was 6% fiber in their dry food and now there is only .2%. I don't think their little intestines are used to it yet because all four of my cats became constipated. So I have to add a little for now. I also add a tablespoon of water to their wet food (In each dish) and have a water fountain for them to drink out of. So their water intake should be sufficient. They only get wet food now and most of it is high quality. I just wanted to stick with the purina pro Urinary wet food for a while until his symptoms dissapated. The food is high in protein but contains byproducts and soy. All of my kitties love it - unfortunately. I tried to get them to eat a higher quality food and they pretty much will eat it as a last resort. So I don't think the behavior was in any way to do With the Prozac but he's still on the lower dose and acting more himself (bullying behavior included).

EllieE83

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My husband and I just put our one boy-cat, Bear on fluoxetine (Prozac) after he got over a bout of idiopathic cystitis due to the vet believing his condition was partly due to stress. We have him switched to an all wet food diet now (using dry food as treats) and just started him on Prozac 3 weeks ago. It was also recommended that we use Prozac due to territorial aggression with our female cat, Pig. With some behavior modifications, some extra play time and some treats for reinforcements they are now able to cohabit on the same room. The only problem is, he used to be super affectionate with me and in particular my husband. He wants nothing to do with my husband now and tolerates me well enough and will play with toys (da bird) and enjoys getting brushed. I'm wondering if he will always be so standoffish of if it is an adjustment period? Has anybody else had this same experience with Prozac and cats behavior changing so radically in this manner?
Hey I’d love you to share the outcome…. I’ve just put my cats on Prozac for anxiety and spraying and they are being super snobs when usually super affectionate :(