Cat left a bad smelling wet spot on my favorite blanket

isaac1234

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
It's super cold where I am and my cat loves this fluffy red blanket. He sleeps on it all the time and we like to tuck him in with it since it's chilly. Sometimes I like to be silly and put my hand under his body since he's warm and soft but when I did, i realized it was wet. He sat up and there was a wet spot on my blanket that smelled like poop. My hand was also wet and smelled like poop. He hasn't had any behavioral changes and this is the only time it's happened. He doesn't act like he's in pain and he's running around being silly like always. Should I be concerned??? Is this a normal thing that just happens sometimes or should i go to the emergency vet?

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
How old is he? Has he had anal sphincter issues in the past? What colour is the fluid? Is there a little or a lot?

Might need more info.

Kris107

Cat mom, cat foster mom
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Ha ha! My cat has these little wet farts too. Horribly stinky. I think it might be their anal glands. Could mention to your vet.

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
Ha ha! My cat has these little wet farts too. Horribly stinky. I think it might be their anal glands. Could mention to your vet.
It could be anal glands but it could also be the sphincter. That's why we need more information. If the cat is older the muscles weaken in the hind legs for example. Either way a vet will be able to determine wether or not it is a serious problem or simply stomach upset.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

isaac1234

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
How old is he? Has he had anal sphincter issues in the past? What colour is the fluid? Is there a little or a lot?

Might need more info.
He is about 7 to 8 years old and the liquid was clear. It wasn't a lot, but it sure was smelly. This was the first time this has happened and he's actually very healthy but i do worry he's getting older.

msserena

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
One of my cats love fuzzy blankets. She nurses on them & occasionally, thankfully not very often, she will squirt butt juice on the blanket. It just happened last night so that's why I came on here to see if anyone else's cat does this. It's terribly stinky, smells like fish & poop & it's dark in color. The grossest thing? After she saw/smelled the dot on the blanket, she tried to lick it up.