Cat Leaves Dropping Out of Litter Box?!?!?!

cswatrous

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I've had this kitten for about 3 weeks and as soon as I brought her in she has used the litter box. I even got a new igloo style litter box and she used that right away. I work 3rd shift and I got home, played with her for a little bit and went to bed. I woke up to find just a little thing of dropping outside her litter box (not too far away) I have gave her some new treats that she hasn't really had yet, could those make her stomach upset possibly? Also she doesn't cover her droppings in the litter box, could've she went in her box while I was sleeping and had to go again and the litter box was too "full"?

Any opinions would be appreciated.

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I've had this kitten for about 3 weeks and as soon as I brought her in she has used the litter box. I even got a new igloo style litter box and she used that right away. I work 3rd shift and I got home, played with her for a little bit and went to bed. I woke up to find just a little thing of dropping outside her litter box (not too far away) I have gave her some new treats that she hasn't really had yet, could those make her stomach upset possibly? Also she doesn't cover her droppings in the litter box, could've she went in her box while I was sleeping and had to go again and the litter box was too "full"?

Any opinions would be appreciated.
I am not sure what the igloo style of litter box is, but if it is covered, some cats do not like going into a covered box.  You could try taking the lid off.  Also how often do you clean the box? 

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

cswatrous

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I am not sure what the igloo style of litter box is, but if it is covered, some cats do not like going into a covered box.  You could try taking the lid off.  Also how often do you clean the box? 
She's been using the covered box for just under a week now with no problems. And generally once a day because she doesn't cover her own poo

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Has it happened again? It may have just been an accident; especially if she is a young kitten.  

One of my girls leave the occasional dropping. She is prone to constipation and things happen sometimes.  It's never an intentional; full out BM on the floor though.  I've actually seen it happen and she looked behind herself like "what the!?" 

happybird

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
We had problems with the round, covered litter boxes. My cats would use them, but they exited at high speed, scattering litter and sometimes poop. I think they were trying to exit so fast, they had poop 'Cling-ons' that fell onto the carpet nearby.
The Booda dome was too small inside and I think it made them feel crowded. There just isn't enough room inside for a cat to move around comfortably and to dig. We now have blankets in it and they love using it as a bed (that is how often they preferred to use the other, square litterbox- the dome is like new after a years worth of use as a litterbox).
The other domed one with a ramp they didn't like either. We figured that out when I caught the cats standing on the ramp and pooping over the divide into the litter. I also found poop on the ramp all the time. That one was also too small inside and too narrow to turn around comfortably. It looks big, but when you look closely at the interior, the ramp area is almost as big as the litter area. Now that we have all rectangular boxes, the random little poops on the floor are virtually non-existent. Every once in a while I'll see one, but it is very rare.

These are the two we had the problems with. The whole thing annoys me because those litterboxes were pricey! At least the first one is getting a second life as a bed. I've even covered the top with a small blanket and used it as a winter bed for strays.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

cswatrous

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
 These are the two we had the problems with. The whole thing annoys me because those litterboxes were pricey! At least the first one is getting a second life as a bed. I've even covered the top with a small blanket and used it as a winter bed for strays.
Happybird,

The second is the one I got. when we first decided to bring her in, all I had was a boot box with kitty litter in it (which she used fine). The only reason I got that one is because I got it for free from a friend at work, that is a really great idea turning it into a cat bed, although id be concerned she might be confused and poop on blanket? but I suppose as long as I set up the other litter box first it shouldn't be a problem?

Has it happened again? It may have just been an accident; especially if she is a young kitten.  

One of my girls leave the occasional dropping. She is prone to constipation and things happen sometimes.  It's never an intentional; full out BM on the floor though.  I've actually seen it happen and she looked behind herself like "what the!?" 
MoochNNoodles,

it hasn't happened again (although I am at work) I do believe it was just an accident, we have a little perch she likes to sit on and the first little drop was right where she usually lands and then the 2nd drop was around the area she jumps down to get to her litter box, maybe she just couldn't make it in time? it was no way a full load so to speak lol.

Ive stopped giving her those treats too to see maybe if they upset her stomach too.

Thank you both for you answers?