Cat: Leash And Wanting To Go Outside

Letta

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi,
I have trained my kitten (7 month old) to walk on the leash. She got good enough that I started letting her go outside. Today was the second time. She gets a bit scoop by unknown noise or things like that but you can see how much she LOVES the experience. As expected once I carried her back inside she complained to go back outside. And I am sure that this is expected behavior. I was planning on letting her go outside everyday around the same time and just once so that she would learn that yes she can but only with me and at that time.

But I wanted to know if any of you had an experience with it. Do they learn it and stop constantly begging? It breaks my heart every time she asks.

Moreover I am moving in a month to a smaller place in NYC (she already moved and is a great traveller and adjusts in less than a day), and I was wondering if it is really a good idea to train her for the leash. If she is confident enough I could take her outside in NYC but otherwise I am afraid of it as it is a city and so a lot of unnatural noises, smells and sights.

I would love to have your imput

mokapi

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Mine never learned to stop begging to go outside (you can see him in his harness in my avatar, hehe), and it is sad, but it's nice knowing that you're controlling (most) of what they're exposed to.

When you move to your smaller place in the city, there shouldn't be any reason to not take her out, IMO. Mine prefers the city smells to the woods, I think. Just make sure that you have her in a well-fitted harness-- nothing that she could break out of, pull out of, etc. Is she okay around dogs?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Letta

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks for your answer.

That's one of my biggest worry is that she never had been exposed to dogs. I was thinking of maybe bothering a friend to bring a dog that is friendly with cats so she could have some experiences.

i would of course make the encouter first from far away ect and let her tell me if she wants closer or not.

Sorry to be bothering you with it but do you live in a city? If yes how does she react to cars and strangers?

mokapi

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
A slow introduction to a dog would be a good idea, I think. Even better if it could be over multiple visits. :)

My cat got along with dogs very well until he had a bad experience; now he only likes my dog and will get puffy and agitated when he sees a canine stranger. I miss him being able to walk calmly past dogs. Hopefully your girl will see a dog and not think twice!

Letta

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Did he ever tried to run away? How did you manage it?

Did you ever had to bring him outside in a hurry?

mokapi

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
He usually "runs away" by climbing up my legs and not caring if he shreds me in the process (my shoulders are always the safest place, it seems). Once or twice he's scaled a tree, but since he's leashed, I just grumble at him and pretend like I'm ignoring him until he comes back down.

I've had to run him both inside and outside in a hurry; outside when there was an apartment fire, and inside when there was a a group of verrrry aggressive dogs being walked toward us. Mrowmrow usually chooses to fight rather than run when it comes to dogs nowadays, and I can't really trust him to not try and claw the crap out of any dog that's approaching him.

Normally our walks are 100% without incident. People are usually curious about him, but unless there are very loud, sudden noises, or big, scary dogs, he does well.

Letta

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi,
So today we went outside like everyday since last week and an incident happened. she got scared by a metal door opening in her direction. She saw it before opening before and did not react so still not sure what happened. Anyway it opened and she panicked. And then she panicked even more because she was restrained by the leash, I started fearing for her safety considering how much she was debating the harness and it was pressing against her neck. She tried to climb a wall ect... She really panicked. I knew to not pick her up but I was very scared for her and had no idea how to calm her. We were 20 min from the door so made it back safely but I am still trembling of stress.
Anyway I was wondering does any of you have advice about how to safely calm her and destress her. Right now she is fine but out there she went int survival mode and had no idea what to do.

mokapi

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I might consider a vest rather than a harness for her, then. Check out Kitty Holster.

I'm just sort of throwing out ideas, here...hmm...what if you try Rescue Remedy? You could give her a half dose (or full dose) before you go out.

Is there a route that she's more familiar with? Sticking with that for a few days might be good. Maybe bringing a few treats with you, and as you walk and she's calm, give her some treats?

Those are probably where I'd start, if Mrowmrow started freaking out.

Felinediablox

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I do not think taking her out for walks is suitable. I do not know about other cats, but my Lili (2 years old), who is also an indoor cat, gets frightened easily by noise and panicks just like your cat. Mine is comfortable in a little part of our garden that is closed off - there is not much noise and she does not need any other places for exploration, she is happy there. Perhaps you could take her outside into a park and let her roam around there? Mine is pretty happy stalking bugs, eating grass and watching her surroundings. I just think that cats cannot be taken for a walk like dogs due to their scaredy nature, might be wrong though.

ileen

with Luciano since 12/5/16
Super Cat
Purraise
I don't know where you're moving in NYC, but I live on the UWS & would love to get to the point where I take Luciano out on a leash at some point in the future. I do see people walking cats on leashes in my neighborhood from time to time. Once you move & see someone doing it, ask them about it.

My plan is to get him used to the harness & leash in the apartment, then in the hallway of the building, then on the roof of the building, then out in the street. We're only one block from the park, so that certainly will be our main destination.

mokapi

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I do not think taking her out for walks is suitable. I do not know about other cats, but my Lili (2 years old), who is also an indoor cat, gets frightened easily by noise and panicks just like your cat. Mine is comfortable in a little part of our garden that is closed off - there is not much noise and she does not need any other places for exploration, she is happy there. Perhaps you could take her outside into a park and let her roam around there? Mine is pretty happy stalking bugs, eating grass and watching her surroundings. I just think that cats cannot be taken for a walk like dogs due to their scaredy nature, might be wrong though.
You must have not heard of Adventure Cats! :) There are plenty of cats who enjoy and benefit from walks. The only thing that really restricts cats is their relatively low stamina. You have to watch for overheating and dehydration, and always need to be able to carry them home if necessary.

Letta

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you very much for all for your answers.
i will try that Mokapi :)! My worry is that if we go outside and she freaks out she would not be safe. I wish she could understand that I will always protect her and that she would stay close to me (or climb me). But her instinct (which is quite natural) is to run away. Do you think that if I carry a soft carrier that she is familiar with (not the vet one obvisouly) and present it to her she might feel safer there and run there in case of danger? Or that I could teach her to climb on me in case of danger?

Actually Luciano I live around morningside heights (columbia area). I moved back to France for a few months for an opportunity for my PhD but will back in NYC in 3 weeks. I have seen once a Bengal at Riverside Park :) Maybe we will be able to exchange about the different good spots and where it is quieter and with less dogs?

For the moment I need to be sure of Luna's reaction before going in the streets. I will not go there until I know she will stay close in case of danger. I am too afraid of her trying to escape by going on the road.

ileen

with Luciano since 12/5/16
Super Cat
Purraise
Yes I hope to be able to exchange information about that kind of stuff. There are quite a few dogs in my building and many on my block. I don't think I've ever walked a full block without seeing at least one person walking a dog.