Cat laying in litter box?

lea98

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My cat used to be so affectionate but now will not leave her litter box. I have taken her out several times but she keeps returning to it. I don't know what to do with her anymore. I'm completely stumped.

itzbranman

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I've read that it can mean that she feels like it's the only safe place because her scent is there. Is she acting anxious or stressed?

willerin

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My cat started doing this and she had a UTI. Make sure she's still peeing. Probably worth taking her to the vet for a check-up.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lea98

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I've read that it can mean that she feels like it's the only safe place because her scent is there. Is she acting anxious or stressed?
You know what, I think your right. I had recently heard that there's and outbreak of deer ticks in our area. At least I think it was deer ticks? Anyways, it was definitely ticks of some sort and even though Amira is an inside cat I bought her a flea and tick collar just to be safe. (Because I have dogs that go in and out) I never liked the oily drops because I like to pet her often so I chose a collar. The smell was horrendous taking it out of the package, very strong order that smelled like medicine (obviously). I left it out for a day and the next I put it on her.

She hated it.

I think she resulted to laying in her own litter box because she lost her sense of scent. That collar's smell overpowers hers. The only place left where she can smell herself is in her litter box. I think she was dealing with a case of lost identity.

lea98

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My cat started doing this and she had a UTI. Make sure she's still peeing. Probably worth taking her to the vet for a check-up.
That's kind of the disgusting part. She used the litter box normally (urinating and defecating) but lays in there anyways. I was cleaning the litter box every time she went because I didn't want her laying in it. I think I found what's causing it though.

lea98

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Have you taken her to a vet for a check-up? She may be hiding because she's ill.
I think it was the strong order of her flea collar that was making her seek her own scent. I'll take her to the vet to be safe but ever since I have taken off the flea collar she stopped laying in her litter box.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Those collars are pretty toxic. I would still consider a check up with the vet just to be cautious; but it wouldn't surprise me to hear the collar was making her not feel well.  The best use for those collars is actually inside your vacuum cleaner if you've got a flea issue to help kill the ones you vacuum up.  

lea98

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Those collars are pretty toxic. I would still consider a check up with the vet just to be cautious; but it wouldn't surprise me to hear the collar was making her not feel well.  The best use for those collars is actually inside your vacuum cleaner if you've got a flea issue to help kill the ones you vacuum up.  
No flea issue. There's been a increase in deer ticks in the area and I just wanted to put on something to protect her, just in case. However that didn't work out.