Cat Laryngitis- Vet Visit Or Wait And See?

Ronboof

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So over the past 4 days Ronnie, my 7 yr old, has developed a hoarse meow. Sometimes he opens his mouth and just a whisper comes out! I have seen him cough/gag probably 7 times in the time frame (but not in the last 24 hours). I think he has laryngitis which I have read is somewhat common when you get a new cat- we did about 2 weeks ago. He doesnt have any other issues, still putting food away like a champ and engaging in the occasional rough housing session with the kitten.
My question is: does this require a vet visit or is it more of a thing to monitor?

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I would keep an eye on him. It's common for kitties to develop a little upper respiratory infection a few weeks after bringing home a new kitty due to all the stress involved. If he's lethargic or has any discolored nasal or eye discharge, he needs to get to the vet immediately. If his cough worsens or becomes more frequent, then definitely get him to the vet.

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Has he been meowing a lot, or more loudly than usual, because of the new kitten? That would explain the laryngitis, and if that's it I wouldn't think there's much a vet could do about it that you couldn't do yourself. If it's an infection, of course, that's a whole other matter.

Very minimum: Make sure he's eating canned food, not kibble, since kibble can cause further irritation. And make sure his water is cold, to help reduce swelling. If it continues or there are any other symptoms, call the vet. And you may want to keep him separated from the kitten for a bit if that's what's causing him to meow so much.

However, if things get worse, or if you're really worried, see the vet. And remember that we aren't veterinarians on TCS and can't diagnose or prescribe anything. All we can do is tell you what we'd do if it were our cat, and sometimes we get it wrong.

Margret

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Ronboof

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Has he been meowing a lot, or more loudly than usual, because of the new kitten? That would explain the laryngitis, and if that's it I wouldn't think there's much a vet could do about it that you couldn't do yourself. If it's an infection, of course, that's a whole other matter.

Very minimum: Make sure he's eating canned food, not kibble, since kibble can cause further irritation. And make sure his water is cold, to help reduce swelling. If it continues or there are any other symptoms, call the vet. And you may want to keep him separated from the kitten for a bit if that's what's causing him to meow so much.

However, if things get worse, or if you're really worried, see the vet. And remember that we aren't veterinarians on TCS and can't diagnose or prescribe anything. All we can do is tell you what we'd do if it were our cat, and sometimes we get it wrong.

Margret
He was very hissy and growly for the first few days but has been fine with the kitten for a week now, hopefully he'll regain his voice soon

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Ronboof

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Just an update: Ronnies voice is basically at full Burmese volume now, just had to wait it out, thanks for the reassurance guys!