Cat language

deebotha

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello. I was wondering about communication I receive from the cat that is living on my roof or stuck on it. It is inquisitive about my movements when outside, but I have noticed that every time I speak to it, it pulls its ears to the side and down somewhat then starts quietly chattering - almost like when they spot prey they can't get to but without any sound. Any ideas?

krazykatjenn

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
If the ears are going down there's a good chance the cat feels threatened, especially because you're a stranger and the cat is already in a bad position, but you have to read the full body language to be sure. Is the cat's fur standing up on end? That would definitely indicate fear. It's also worth looking at the tail. If the tail is held rigidly upwards, probably fear. If swishing back and forth, it's a sign of aggression. If the cat is holding it's tail loosely and looks pretty relaxed other than the ears going back, then maybe just a little nervous? Remember that it's the sum total of the body language that counts, not just one piece of it!

And as for the cat being stuck on your roof, poor thing! Do you have any way to get the cat down?