Cat knocked over and spilled detergent on himself and licked some of it off before i could bathe him. Will he be okay?

sjcg2010

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So, we're in the middle of unpacking a new house and so far I've done a good job of making him feel safe in the new environment, trying to keep his schedule normal, playing with him, giving him extra treats when today he decides to try and reach for something on the counter and knocks over Meyers eco friendly clean day detergent and spill some on him, he scampers and I rush to find him licking himself under the couch, I run and grab him and bathe him and rinse his mouth with an empty syringe. He's tried to vomit but nothing came up and he's sneezed a bit and wheezed after I bathed him, his behavior is otherwise normal, he's responsive and moved around just fine. He tried to eat wet cat food but had the reaction of tasting soap it seemed like. I called the emergency vet and they said just to keep an eye on him, but said I shouldn't worry. Any advice?

EmersonandEvie

Mom to Evie, Emerson and Dexter
Top Cat
Purraise
If you're in the USA, you can call the pet poison control hotline. There is a fee to use the service, but if you wind up going to the ER anyway, they will call the same number and charge you the fee regardless. It would give you peace of mind about him eating some of the detergent.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
If you're in the USA, you can call the pet poison control hotline. There is a fee to use the service, but if you wind up going to the ER anyway, they will call the same number and charge you the fee regardless. It would give you peace of mind about him eating some of the detergent.
The free animal poison control hotline is to always have on hand, if one lives in the US:

Kansas State University Veterinary Teaching Hospital 1-785-532-5679

The more well known ASPCA Poison Control hotline charges a consultation fee.

I'd keep an eye on the cat for now and call the regular vet on Monday. If you notice the cat not eating anything or is vomiting or acting unusual, take the cat to the emergency vet.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sjcg2010

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The free animal poison control hotline is to always have on hand, if one lives in the US:

Kansas State University Veterinary Teaching Hospital 1-785-532-5679

The more well known ASPCA Poison Control hotline charges a consultation fee.

I'd keep an eye on the cat for now and call the regular vet on Monday. If you notice the cat not eating anything or is vomiting or acting unusual, take the cat to the emergency vet.

I appreciate it very much thank you, I think it was only a small amount and it was all natural detergent. They told me to keep food and water nearby and we have every reason to hope it will resolve in 24hours