Cat Kneading at 4 years old

manoli_the_cat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hey guys, i have a quick question. My cat has just started to knead all the time and in one spot only. He always goes ontop the back of the couch were i keep a blanket and start to knead for 5 min before he sits down. he just started doing it and he will never do it on me. Is this normal?

rad65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, that is perfectly normal. My cat likes to work his claws into a folded up fleece blanket I keep on my bed. I call it knitting, because he uses his claws a LOT more than when he kneads me.

-_aj_-

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It's a comfort thing for some cats, mine do it on cushions blankets even me my mams cat kneads on the same pillow all the time

If your worried about it just give your vet a quick ring, I don't think it will be anything to worry about it, he's probably done the kneading thing for a while your just not in the same room at the same time

my4llma

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Lynxx
used to lay on my chest, with his paws around my neck, his face against my ear and knead and purr. Only when he wanted a "hug".

Midnight has a blanket he sucks on, while kneading, while rocking back and forth, and purring very loudly. He does this through out the night, sometimes during the day.

I don't think I've seen Luna knead.

hillbillywoman

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My nearly 4 yr old Maine Coon kneads all the time, on me, on the furniture, whereever he happens to be. I have noticed he is in his "give me some loving" mood when he does it and he's quite the talker so he is chriping, trilling, meowing the entire time.

februa

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
6 year old manytoes is still a kneader! In fact, he damands a daily evening kneading session on my lap while Im sitting on the couch. He gets all agitated and headbutty etc. if I am not on the couch/not assuming the kneading position (cross legged-kitty nest!) until I let him have his way! Sometimes he will also knead a blanket, but usually only me, and only in the evening on the couch lol. Daisy doesnt seem to knead at all....

c1atsite

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Penny kneads and she's 7 and a half years old
It looks like she's making bread

Originally Posted by Februa

Daisy doesnt seem to knead at all....
Funny, my kitty also named Daisy doesn't really knead ever too.

heatherdunne

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat still does it and she's 15. I always think she's trying to fluff her pillow a bit before laying down on it.

bastetservant

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I had a cat for over 18 years who kneaded all her life, on me and blankets and other things. She lost her mother at about 2 weeks of age, so I always thought she was a little strange because of this. She would suck on blankets often when kneading, too.

Robin

kailie

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Both Shadey & Imhotep knead like crazy and they're both 8 years old.
It's instinct. I have to keep their claws trimmed though because they like to do so on ME!

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Our cats love to knead on us, too. The Old Ladies don't do it so much anymore, but BooBoo and Ms. Pepe still knead. Mollipop loves to knead on my shoulder and neck at night when we're in bed and she's getting ready to snuggle down in bed.

To me, nothing is as comforting as a kitty who's kneading me and purring.