Cat/Kitten Introduction Problem

maskandmirror

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My wife and I have read quite a bit on the subject of introducing a new kitten to a family with an established cat, and have followed the advice reasonably closely, but things don't seem to be playing out in any of the ways they predict.  Our older cat, Sweep, who is 2, is rather a nervous and sensitive fellow.  We took on a new one, a 9 week old kitten called Kumi about a week ago.  I know this isn't long, and getting cats used to one another traditionally takes longer than this, but our problem is that Sweep is very frightened and is coming inside the house less and less.  Now he is only coming in for his dinner, then leaving again, not even eating if he sees Kumi.  Yesterday I saw him sneaking into someone else's house and stealing food from their cat's bowl.  I am really afraid of losing Sweep, and we are discussing rehoming Kumi.  Does anyone have any suggestions?  My wife wants to try keeping Sweep shut in the house for a few days so that he has to accept the situation rather than flee it, but I am scared that this will make things worse.

ondine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Has there been a reason Sweep has been inside/outside?  Most cats are a lot safer inside only, so I'm with your wife and vote to keep Sweep inside.

Having said that, you now have a bit of a pickle with getting these two used to the idea of living together.  Can Sweep have his own room for a bit?  It will help him adapt to the idea of being inside only and also give him his own little safe place.  Formal introductions can recommence after he feels comfortable inside.

If Sweep insists on being outside, is there a screen porch you can give him as his very own territory?  It does sound like he needs his own space.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

maskandmirror

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Sweep is able to go outdoors as he pleases.  Personally I prefer to give cats this freedom  (I think it's more common here in the Uk; most cats are kept this though I don't know why it's different).  Our landlord wouldn't allow us to have a cat unless we agreed to give him outside access anyway :/

Sweep doesn't normally stray far, though.  He isn't bothered by the other local cats very often but when he is he always backs down and never fights.  There's been no aggression at all between him and the new baby, he just doesn't seem to want to be around.  He's not wanting to be picked up or hugged either, which he usually likes.  He seems unhappy about the smell of the little one on me.

We've been keeping Kumi in a specific room a lot of the time, but we have let him roam a bit so that he gets attention and because we thought it would be good to spread his scent around the house a bit.  That seems to have been a bad plan, though.  At first, Sweep had no reaction to the new smell, probably because my wife and I visit other people with cats often and he's used to our clothes having new smells.  I am only guessing though.

We would be sad to lose Kumi, but rehoming him at his age (particularly since we have already paid for his innoculations) shouldn't be too difficult, and Sweep is our priority.  We will try keeping him in over the weekend, though I guess we should buy another litter tray first!

ondine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Ah, I didn't realize you were in the UK.  Not sure why but here in the states, cats don't seem to have good lives when they're outside.  Wish that weren't true but ...

You are correct about rehoming the younger cat.  If that happens, I sure hope you find him a good home.

gwlaw99

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
This is an summary of a great detailed method, I read in this book.

http://www.amazon.com/The-Cat-Whisperer-Do-ebook/dp/B004HZYBFE

Make sure that you get them used to each other's scent before they even glance at each other.  Take two clean thin socks and and rub one on the face  of each cat.  Let them sniff eachother's sock and if there is no adverse reaction, rub the sock on the other's face to mingle their scent.  If there is a bad reaction, put the one you rubbed on Salem's face on the floor of the safe room with the kitten and one you rubbed on the kitten's face where the old cat will find it.  Try again the next day or several hours later.    Do this for a couple of days and if there is no adverse reaction, rub the sock on the cats shoulders and sides (not rear flank) and repeat.  Once they get used to each other's smell with the sock, buy a new brush and repeat the procedure with the brush.  Let them smell the brush before brushing them.  Do this for a few days until neither cat minds the brush with the mingled scent and keep doing it as you continue with the next steps.  Next let Salem into the safe room after the kitten has been taken out in a carrier (no visual contact).  Close the door and let the kitten roam a little while Salem sniffs around the safe room.  Maybe let the kitten in one room at a time and make sure he doesn't hide or get stuck somewhere.  Do this a few times so that their scents get mingled.  Now that they are completely familiar with each other's sent as well as their mingled scent, you can let them briefly see each other through a baby gate.  Make sure you keep them far away from each other and that they have food or treats to make a positive association.  The first time should only be 30 seconds or so.  Try to close the door before you see a bad reaction and immediately if you do. Give each a treat if there is no bad reaction.   Repeat, moving the bowls closer and closerand allowing longer visits until they are able to eat on either side of the gate with no bad reaction.  Then move on to supervised visits with plenty of treats and toys to interrupt any bad reaction.  Try to end the visit before anything bad happens (not just after) and give each a treat.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

maskandmirror

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thankyou for your help!  We decided to keep Sweep in, and shut Kumi in his room at dinner time and during the night.  They seem to be more tolerant of one another, but Sweep is still a bit nervous and on edge.  Kumi is fine though, he has no idea there is a problem... and thinks Sweep's tail is a toy.