Cat keeps trying to stay out at night

hopdop

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We have two cats that we allow outside only during the day, the boy is very complacent and is okay with only being out during the day. The girl, Fiona, was okay with this but has recently started to escape out the front door between our feet at night. We go out to try and catch her but she runs around and hides behind trees like it's a game. It's literally almost impossible to catch her and we are forced to just wait her out until morning.

I get very worried about her being out overnight but don't want to confine her indoors forever, besides, she's about 4 years old and so used to being able to go outside that she'd never let us rest if we tried that.

This has happened two nights in a row. How can I discourage her from trying to get out at night without keeping her inside forever? Would locking her up in the bathroom at night help? Or playing with her before bed (she is not a big play-er, she likes to hunt the real thing)?

cinqchats

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Yes, if you physically contain her at night she won't get the chance to bolt out the door. 

What is your reasoning for only letting them out during the day? Are you thinking that it's somehow safer for them?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

hopdop

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Well, I don't live alone so i can't really judge when the front door will be closed "for the night", if that makes sense. Therefore, I can't really determine when to lock her up.

What I've been doing is just tiring her out by playing during the day so she's sleepy and wants to sleep during the night. It seems to work so far.

My reasoning for letting her out is pretty flawed, admittedly. I know that no matter what time of day, letting her out is risky. But I can see that they don't wander very far during the day, they always just nap around the patio. However, I do think it's safer during the day because I live out in the country where most animals come out at night and cars are few and far between.

solstice

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
It's normal just let him/her stay outside. You should get a cat flap

Last edited by a moderator: