Cat Keeps Swatting?

Kennethkeen

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I cant tell if this is a swat or dont go thing? My cat keeps throwing its paw up in the air whenever I start to leave, almost acts frightened then acts sad when I'm gone, then when she acts frightened she runs right back out to me.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I am guessing she is pawing at you to stay with her. Of course, she could be swatting at your for the same reason - not to leave her.

Feeby paws at my arm, if she comes up on the side of the chair I sit in and wants me to acknowledge she is there with a pet or two. But, then, I guess in my own mind I do in fact think of the word 'swat' when I am leaving a room and I pass by her and she tries to stop me.

You might be able to determine whether you think it is true pawing or swatting depending on the rest of your cat's demeanor at the time she does it.

As long as she isn't hissing at you - just consider it pawing!!!

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Cats can definitely swat humans for attention. I have one that will sometimes reach up and grab my hand with both paws, especially when hungry. Mad headbutting or noises are probably more common, but swatting is definitely a communication that some cats use.