Cat keeps scratching my hand when I put it near him

noeynkuro

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hey all, about a week ago I adopted this kitten (9 months) named Kuro. He’s undersocialized but he seems to have warmed up to me now, but he doesn’t allow petting and every time I hold out a treat in my hand he tries to swat it out. When I try to approach him with my hand in a closed fist for him to sniff, he also tries to scratch my hand instead of sniffing it. I don’t know what to do about this behaviour. Help would be much appreciated!

game misconduct

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hey all, about a week ago I adopted this kitten (9 months) named Kuro. He’s undersocialized but he seems to have warmed up to me now, but he doesn’t allow petting and every time I hold out a treat in my hand he tries to swat it out. When I try to approach him with my hand in a closed fist for him to sniff, he also tries to scratch my hand instead of sniffing it. I don’t know what to do about this behaviour. Help would be much appreciated!
its only been a week need things are new ,unfamiliar to him it = dangerso he is swatting at you in warning telling you"i dont know you better back off or i rip you up" give the lil guy more time and patience(you cant force a bond) to earn his trust allow him to come to you on his terms accepting that he may well never be comfortable with petting or a lovey dovey cuddly type cat. best of luck to you remember cats arent like dogs where if they sniff your hand things are ok type thing a cats trust is earned with time and patience

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You need to figure out when and where the cat will allow petting. The first situation is almost always when sleepy and/or in a special spot where the cat is most comfortable with you. Thats often where you are quiet and chill, so for example the bed, or the couch where you watch tv. I've seen a couple posters over the years, the first spot has been beside the bathtub because those folks liked to take long quiet baths and they would let the cat in. This happens because cats don't trust all at once. You aren't safe everywhere - first, you are safe in one particular spot, or at least it often works that way.