Cat Keeps Running Away Outside

Aïmann

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
so i have this 4 month old cat that i found as a kitten right beside my house being tortured by some little brats, and took it in, now i cant tell you how much i love him, he is my world, but hes been doing strange things he runs away from me, never comes when i call him, and the worst of all, he runs outside, this afternoon i became crazy looking for him everywhere till i found him with another cat, he then ran away under a car and i spend 2 hours trying to get him out untill he ran again into the house, and now is sitting on my lap acting guilty like he knows he did something wrong and trying to reconciliate, now i have no clue whats going on here, is it the torturing as a kitten that made him fear humans like that ? could he be lonely and needs other cats ? but arent cats solitary ? i dont know what am i doing wrong, i keep thinking about just letting him go but hes like my little kid its really hard, please help

Wile

Opener of cans
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi Aimann, there's a lot packed into your post. What exactly do you want help with? Here is what I think your questions are, and my answers to them.

Is it normal for a cat to: 1)Not listen to a human when it is not trained to; 2)Want to go outside; 3)Want time alone? Yes, yes, and yes.

Does that mean your cat does not love or appreciate you? No.

Are cats solitary by nature? No. Cats are naturally a social species, and this is especially true for kittens under 6 months of age. They need a playmate (other young cats) to socialize with.

Is this your first cat? Sorry if I am off base, but it sounds like you don't know much about kittens or cats and how they behave. I'm sure a mod here can post some resources that will help you learn a bit more. Feel free to post any more questions you may have.

CatsAreTheBest

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
How long have you had him? He's probably still freaked out from his earlier experience. Just give him some time and he'll feal more comfortable. Some cats just like bieng outside. If yo want him to be an indoor ca you can take him for walks on a leash (I know it sound wierd, but I know quit a few people who do it on here). Also your doing a great jobs saving that kittens life:).

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Aïmann

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi Aimann, there's a lot packed into your post. What exactly do you want help with? Here is what I think your questions are, and my answers to them.

Is it normal for a cat to: 1)Not listen to a human when it is not trained to; 2)Want to go outside; 3)Want time alone? Yes, yes, and yes.

Does that mean your cat does not love or appreciate you? No.

Are cats solitary by nature? No. Cats are naturally a social species, and this is especially true for kittens under 6 months of age. They need a playmate (other young cats) to socialize with.

Is this your first cat? Sorry if I am off base, but it sounds like you don't know much about kittens or cats and how they behave. I'm sure a mod here can post some resources that will help you learn a bit more. Feel free to post any more questions you may have.
well first of all, yeah, this is my first cat, i planned to take it in and feed just till it grows enough to defend itself but i cant let it go now, im too attached to him, so does he needs a playmate ? is it really necessary or he will grow up normally just alone ? and can you give me any tips on how to train him to come when i call ? i just dont know why he runs away from me, he only does that when outside, when he's in he comes and greet me as soon as he sees me and he sleeps on my lap, i dont let him inside rooms but i have a big garden where he lives and theres trees and grass and everything that a cat naturally lives in, also i keep buying him canned cat food and he'll not eat it at all, he eats only leftovers of what i eat and tuna/fish cans, is this diet okay ? or am i messing him up ? sorry if im asking too much, i just want to know wether im doing something wrong for him, thanks for helping me

Wile

Opener of cans
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I found this resource on the site that covers a lot of information for a first time cat owner: First-time Cat Owner's Guide

does he needs a playmate ?
If your cat is indoor/outdoor he is probably meeting other cats outside, so he likely already has other cats that he socializes with. I would encourage you to turn him into an indoor only cat as there are various dangers outside (diseases from other cats, cars, dogs, the young kids who you found torturing him...) that will shorten his life. Another alternative is to cat-proof your backyard so that he can't wander, but still has a safe space outside to play in.

can you give me any tips on how to train him to come when i call ?
Here is an article on how to train your cat: How to Train a Cat to Come
It sounds like your cat has an unusual living situation, so I'm not entirely sure why he is running from you. It could be because he's looking for food, or shelter?

i dont let him inside rooms but i have a big garden where he lives and theres trees and grass and everything that a cat naturally lives in
What do you mean by "everything that a cat naturally lives in"? Do you mean the trees and grass? Your cat is a domesticated animal that has certain requirements for shelter from the elements. At the very least if he is an outdoor cat I would think that he needs a heated cat house to shelter in.

i keep buying him canned cat food and he'll not eat it at all, he eats only leftovers of what i eat and tuna/fish cans, is this diet okay ?
No, the diet of human food is not ok because it is not nutritionally balanced to meet a cat's needs. If you keep feeding him cans of tuna and leftovers instead of his wet food he will develop some kind of nutritional deficiency and dietary disease. He should be eating a nutritionally balanced wet food formulated for his life stage (kitten food)

One other thing, I cannot express enough the importance of taking your kitten to a vet for an exam and vaccines ASAP. It is almost certain that if he has been wandering outside and never seen by a vet he has intestinal parasites. He will also need vaccines to protect both him and you from diseases present in your local cat population. I don't know where you live, but if it is somewhere that rabies exists it is especially important for him to get the rabies shot (and may be required by law) as pets are one point of contact between local wildlife and humans. Him not having that shot puts you at risk as well.