Cat keeps pooping on my bed!

coronet

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi all, I have a problem with my 2 year old, fixed, female cat.

Four days ago she pooped on my bed on the comforter. Normal poop, not runny, just in a small pile. I have 2 cats so I didn't know which one it was. I figured a cat had just gotten nervous that day because there was a thunder storm. Neither cat had a history of ever using the toilet out of the litter box and both had been great about behaving.

The next day there was another poop pile on my bed. This time I was not sure what to do to figure out who it was so I cleaned up the poop, made sure the litter box was clean (it was immaculate), and then checked the cats for sick behavior. Both seemed healthy, happy, and 100% normal. Nothing weird about the poo again.

Today I was in the living room when I saw the kitty who was pooping on my bed hop up on the covers, scratch around, and then unload on my bed. As I came up she darted out the room and now once again, I am cleaning my bedsheets.

Any idea why she's doing this? She's never done this before!

- No history of pooping/peeing outside of the litter box
- Female, 2 years old, seems perfectly healthy and acting normal aside pooping on my bed
- Nothing new in the apartment, no new furniture, nothing moved, no change in my schedule or their feeding schedule
- She's an independent, aloof kitty, so I don't think it's loneliness.

Any thoughts?

meuzettesmom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I had a cat who did this. I can sympathize.
I covered my bed with a sheet of plastic until she stopped it. Not sure if that was the right thing to do. But we got through it.
Jill.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

coronet

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I've resorted to closing my bedroom door while I'm at work for now. I'll try covering the bed with a plastic sheet or something she doesn't like the texture of. Thanks for the tip!

arlyn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The first thing to do is a trip to the vet.
Pooping out of the box is almost always a cat's way of letting you know something is wrong.
They are experts at hiding pain and sickness.

To the vet, rule out a medical issue first, then go from there.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

coronet

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Update:

Took her to vet with stool sample. Stool sample was fine, kitty was fine, nothing's wrong with her medically.

However, she's STILL pooping on the bed when we're not watching her and once when I closed the door and she couldn't get into the bedroom she pooped on the carpet near the front door!

I don't know what to do. Can you guys suggest any behavioral modifications I can do with her? I'm starting to think it's just purely a behavioral issue.