Cat keeps pooping on floor

gravey32

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Ive had my cat now for over 6years..himalayan... We used to live in another location ...where we first got her till she was around 3...and we never had litter problems. Now since we moved and have been living in a diff place now for 3 years..on and off she quits using cat box... Been to vet mulitple times.. Just this week actually...vet said she had bacteria n her stool... Gave her antibiotics...however.. This has been goin on for 3 years on and off...we tried 2 boxes...diff litters...diff location... Nothing works... She will usually poop some in her box...but will always be some on floor n house...or all on floor... Any ideas ?...

Ms. Freya

Advisor
Veteran
Purraise
When she has her accidents on the floor, do you clean the spots with and enzyme cleaner? If not, it's possible that she's still smelling her previous business and associates that with a spot to go. Has anything else changed about the new place? Are there more cats outside than in the old one? Maybe new sounds that are upsetting her? Also, this may sound odd, but if she goes on the floor is it all in one spot, or in several little spots? In that case, it may be worth getting her checked for incontinence.

Also, when you say she goes on the floor, is it by the box? It may just be that she gets into the box and misses, pooping outside instead. I know some bigger cats sometimes have this problem.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

gravey32

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
yea we have alil cleaner..we use stuff that has enzyme stuff in it.... nothing really changing...we do have a few cats outside that roam around..not our cats....almost always ..she always poops like 2 or 3 spots.. and we always kno when she has to poop cuz she sits and looks real bloated ..and her tail is flippn around... then i put her n cat box ..sometimes she poops..sometimes she dont... and when she poops..it varys...usually its near box...but sometimes like jus alil bit ago it was in bedroom with catbox bebind a chair and also in living room behind couch...its always pretty much hidden behind something usually

calico76

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
:wavey: I am going to follow this thread, because I've been having the same problem - for years! The only difference is we haven't moved. We live in the same house we have been in her entire life! The people and animals are the same, litter is the same and in the same spot, food is the same, everything! We've been to the vet multiple times and she is very healthy!

I tried to change the litter once, but my other cat started peeing where she shouldn't, changed it back and no issues so can't do that! Sigh...

gravey32

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
yeah the vet even got us some anxiety spray..and yeah that was a waste of money... we feel like were running out of options.. is there any good quality cat litter we could try?

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
yeah the vet even got us some anxiety spray..and yeah that was a waste of money... we feel like were running out of options.. is there any good quality cat litter we could try?
You can try Dr. Elsey's Litter Attract.  It has special herbs in it that attract cats to it.  You can mix it in with your regular litter or use it straight.  It has worked wonders on getting cats to use a litter box again or in litter box training. 

gravey32

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
where do u buy that at

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
where do u buy that at
Most pet stores carry it.  I have seen it at PetsMart.  You can also order it online.  Just call around to local pet stores and ask if they carry Dr. Elsey's Litter Attract.  It comes in a 10lb bag, 40lb bag or small canister.  Whenever I have used it, I have had the best luck using it straight.  Yet, since your cats are used to different litter, you might try just mixing some into your regular,clean litter. 

Start with fresh litter and a clean litter box too.

gravey32

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
well i went amd bought that dr elseys litter... came home this morn..and my cat pooped on my new hardwood floor and the door mat soon you walk n the house... and i had my other litter box out also... helppppppppp lol

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Since it is different litter than your cat is used to, you might want to just mix it with the normal litter and gradually add more.  Take the poop from the floor and bury it in the litter boxes.  This may help her to know where to poop. 

If you used the litter attract straight it may be too much of a change.  This is not an instantaneous process.  Give it time.