Cat Keeps Peeing!!!

Koda98

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have a 2 year old female short hair that loves to pee in my parents bed and carpet onces or twice a month and they are stating to get really upset about it what can I do everyone in the house get so frustrated when it happens. I plan on taking her to the vet again and see if they fine anything but what else can I do also any suggestions on how to get rid of the small I have tried a lot of spray and non of them work

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
I’m glad that you’re going to take her to the vet. It’s important to rule out potential medical issues, like a UTI that could be causing inappropriate urination.

As far as cleaning goes, Urine Off and Nature’s Miracle are two options to get rid of the smell. You should be able to find these at a pet supply store.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hello and welcome to TCS. I'm glad you're taking her to the vet, as like abyeb abyeb mentioned, she could have an UTI.

If it's not medical, then the next thing to look at is something behavourial. Is she the only pet? Did anything change around the time the peeing started?

I'll post some TCS that will have more info that might be helpful:

How To Solve Litterbox Problems In Cats: The Ultimate Guide
Litterbox Problems? Here's Why You Should Call Your Vet

Inappropriate Peeing, Spraying, Toy Obsession And Leg And Hand Nipping
Spraying: When Your Cat Uses Urine To Mark Territory

How To Remove Cat Urine
How To Get Cat Urine Smell Out Of Carpet: Effective, Non-toxic Solutions
How To Get Cat Pee Smell Out Of Clothes And Linens

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Koda98

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks everyone I have a vet appointment for tomorrow and I’ll try out the spray you recommend, also if it isn’t UTI or anything has change around the house what else could be the problem? and yes she is the only pet I have other then some fish and I scooped her litter every day and clean out the box every 2 weeks.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Let us know what the vet has to say. And we'll take it from there.

Koda98

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Sorry for the late reply. The vet said that she was healthy and probably keeps peeing on the bed because she was marking her scent around the house and I just have to use some spray bottle she recommended to me to clean out the stain and smell and keep on observing her behavior to see if she kept on doing it and if she just then bring her back

Koda98

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I think you guys are more helpful then the vet. She basically said the exact same thing as what some people had said on here but charge me for it

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Now that you know it's not an UTI, we can try to figure out why's she's marking around the house.

How long have you had her? And how long has she been peeing outside of the litter box? How many litter boxes do you have? She's spayed, right?

Koda98

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have had her for almost three years and she as been peeing outside her box since I can remember but she has periods of when she would do it like maybe once every month or two for one week she would pee outside the litter box and if she does it, it would always be on my parents bed or their carpet. I only own one litter box because my apartment is a bit small also she does not spray when she does it, she crouches and pee like she would inside a litter box .

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
It's strange that she has periods when she uses the litter box fine, and then starts peeing outside the box. I wonder what sets her off? Maybe she hears other cats outside your apartment?

Right now I think the most important thing is to ensure the urine scent is completely gone from the bedding and the carpet. If she can still smell it, she might keep peeing there.

Also, if at all possible, try putting down a 2nd litter box. Some cats are quirky and want to pee in one box and poop in another.
How Many Litterboxes Should You Have?

Just in case it has something to do with her not liking something about her litter box, here's a couple more articles:
The 10 Most Common Litterbox Mistakes Cat Owners Make
16 Experts Reveal The Most Common Litterbox Mistakes (and How To Avoid Them)