Cat Keeps Peeing On The Sofa

Josh86

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi all,
Thanks in advance for taking the time.
My cat (female, spayed, 1 year old, indoor cat) keeps on peeing on the sofa!

It's a sofa with down filled cushions (which has plenty of claw hooks in it by now...) so washing them through and through is quite difficult. I do have a special spray (EcoPet) to remove the scent that I've used a few times.
Lately I've been keeping a throw on the sofa but she always pees in the same spot, in between two of the cushions.
Every time it happens I will wash the covers and the throw with enzymatic soap (Biotex) but she always returns.

I've even tried putting down some tin foil on the top to teach her to not go on the sofa at all but she will even pee on the foil...

I've also tried spraying the sofa with apple vinegar to no avail.
It seems that every time the sofa stops smelling like her she will go back to mark it.

The only thing that might be related is, I don't have that big an apartment and the litterbox is in a corner right next to the sofa (in a corner by the balcony door, cleaned daily).

She also peed on my bed once..

Can anyone please tell me what I can do about this? It's happening so often that it's come to the point that I'm seriously reconsidering having a cat at all.

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
Can you take her to the vet to check for a UTI? Kidney issues or high urine pH can also cause inappropriate urination, so these are other things your vet can check for.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Josh86

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Can you take her to the vet to check for a UTI? Kidney issues or high urine pH can also cause inappropriate urination, so these are other things your vet can check for.
That seems unlikely to me.
I think if it was a UTI she would be peeing in more areas, not habitually returning to 1 single spot to pee.

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That seems unlikely to me.
I think if it was a UTI she would be peeing in more areas, not habitually returning to 1 single spot to pee.
Not necessarily true. Cats are excellent at hiding pain. Please get her to a vet.

Deafcats1999

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Spray vinager I know it dosnt sound right but cats hate the smell it works on my cats

Josh86

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Spray vinager I know it dosnt sound right but cats hate the smell it works on my cats
As I said before, I've tried this.
She seems to take it as a challenge to reapply her scent rather than a repellent.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Don't give up yet, let's try to figure out why this is happening. Is she getting enough moisture in her diet? Enough canned food? Is her litterbox big enough and cleaned often enough? We are here to help you figure this out...

Josh86

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Don't give up yet, let's try to figure out why this is happening. Is she getting enough moisture in her diet? Enough canned food? Is her litterbox big enough and cleaned often enough? We are here to help you figure this out...
Thanks. I'll see about making an appointment with the vet on Monday. I'll post a follow up after she sees the vet.

Her litter box should be big enough.
She's fairly small and has a Curver litter box, the kind with the drawer, and it's cleaned daily.
I don't often feed her wet food but she has water trays in two different spots in the apartment. One next to her feeding tray in the kitchen and one next to the cat grass in the living room.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My cat had peeing problems when he was eating too much dry food, so you might want to try giving her at least 3oz of canned food a day along with the dry. Did you mean she has a covered litterbox? Maybe try taking the cover off if you can, some cats don't like them. Not sure what you mean by the drawer on the litterbox?

Josh86

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat had peeing problems when he was eating too much dry food, so you might want to try giving her at least 3oz of canned food a day along with the dry. Did you mean she has a covered litterbox? Maybe try taking the cover off if you can, some cats don't like them. Not sure what you mean by the drawer on the litterbox?
See picture about the drawer, it's quite handy.
Since the box is in my living room I'm very reluctant to remove the cover, and frankly, there's no other place in the house where it would be out of the way without obstructing her access to it.
I'll see what the vet has to say before I resort to wet food.

Btw. I put her picture in my avatar. Her name's Bagheera :)

Attachments

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah, I see what you mean, it looks like it wouldn't work without the cover! Canned food helps keep the urine flowing smoothly. Sometimes if it hurts when they pee, a cat will associate the litter box with pain and go elsewhere. She's a pretty girl!