Cat Keeps Peeing Next To The Litter Robot

catbattle

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So we have one of those big litter orb robot things that the cats use for their litter box.

However, over the past couple months, one of our cats, out of nowhere, only seems to want to use it like 75% of the time. He always poops in the orb fine, but when it comes to peeing, it's only sometimes now. Sometimes he'll sit right outside the orb, meow/howl a bit, and then pee. We tried putting pads down to protect the floor but he'll pee on those, too.

We try to keep the orb clean and last we took him to the vet there were no health issues. Why else might this be happening?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

catbattle

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
It doesn't seem to let me edit my posts but I wanted to add:

Could it be stress? Sometimes he's hungry like 5 times a day and want more cans, more cans, more cans -- sometimes we tell him no, and he'll go pee right afterwards.

Or he'll jump up on somewhere we don't want him to jump, and tell him to get down, or get out of something where he shouldn't be, and he'll go pee.

Or it'll be late at night, after we feed him, or maybe just randomly, he'll pee.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
How many cats do you have? Does this particular cat get along with all of them?

Do you recall if anything might have changed in the household before the behaviour started? And, lastly, have you tried putting down a regular litter box to see if he'd use that?

(btw, I think you need 20 posts before you get editing privileges)

catbattle

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Two cats, but they aren't super friendly, lol. Our oldest cat is quite territorial and often doesn't like to be bothered and will hiss, attack when the other gets too close. Meanwhile he's just trying to mess with her / play with her. Sometimes she'll play back but it's less common.

The only major change was that we replaced the orb itself with an new copy because the old one was becoming quite old and harder to clean, but the peeing didn't start immediately after this. I forgot how long -- maybe a few weeks? Months? It just sort of started happening.

We haven't tried a regular box simply because we don't have a whole lot of room and the robot makes it easier to clean/dispose of litter.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
With 2 cats, the "rule" would be to have 3 litter boxes - 1 for each cat, plus one. I realize space is an issue, but it might help to get a 2nd litter box, and put it in a completely different area from the orb.

Also, how long ago was he checked at the vet? The meow/howl sounds like he's having some discomfort. Has he ever had a UTI?

TCS has some articles on both litter box issues, and stress, that might be helpful. Here are the links:

How To Solve Litterbox Problems In Cats: The Ultimate Guide | TheCatSite
Litterbox Problems? Here's Why You Should Call Your Vet | TheCatSite
Inappropriate Peeing, Spraying, Toy Obsession And Leg And Hand Nipping | TheCatSite
Spraying: When Your Cat Uses Urine To Mark Territory | TheCatSite

Is Your Cat Stressed Out? | TheCatSite
You, Your Cat And Stress | TheCatSite
Potential Stressors In Cats - The Ultimate Checklist | TheCatSite
Six Surefire Strategies To Reduce Stress In Cats | TheCatSite

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
After having a Littermaid for most of Krista's life and finally retiring it for two regular litterboxes, I'm convinced of three things:

1. Automatic litterboxes don't clean as well as people do. We tend to let them get dirtier because we can't see it. But the cat(s) certainly can smell it.
2. Scheduled feedings means scheduled eliminations. I feed and clean in the same shift eliminating the need for an automatic litterbox.
3. Even with one cat, there's multitude reasons to have an extra box. Krista likes to poop in one and pee in the other. It's entirely possible she doesn't want to be stepping in one to do the other. But also, if she believes one of the boxes has wronged her (bonus poop/loose poop), she has another she can use.

I think 1 box for two cats is two too few. Even if you can't manage three, I think you'll see that pee behavior lessen with a second box. You could even place it right next to the first if you're short on space. Krista's second box is just a few feet away from the first.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Has he been to the vet? Has a UTI or other urinary condition been ruled out? If it hurts to pee, he'll blame the box.

catbattle

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Is it possible for a UTI to last this long? Wouldn't we see other issues?

Sometimes when he's in the middle of howling we'll pick him up and place him in the orb and then he'll go fine.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't know. Can you take him to the vet to rule out urinary issues?

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
My first guess would be a low-grade UTI. And yes, they can linger. Another possibility is that he HAD one, associated the pain with the box rather than his own plumbing, and is now avoiding on principal. Try a different type of box, even if it is an automatic, once you know there is no physical cause. Just choose one that looks very different from what he has now.

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
the pee pads are scented to attract the kit or puppy to pee on them. Newspaper would be unscented and might be less pee attractive.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Sometimes he's hungry like 5 times a day and want more cans, more cans, more cans -- sometimes we tell him no, and he'll go pee right afterwards.

How old is your cat? How often do you feed and how much each time? Maybe your cat isn't getting enough food? Or maybe he's getting plenty (or so it seems) but has an diagnosed medical issue that is causing him to be constantly hungry.

kittyluv387

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How old is he? Did he get checked out for hyperthyroidism? I'm wondering since he sounds so hungry. We have 1 robot for 3 cats and everyone uses it fine.

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I got away with two boxes for two cats BUT they still preferred to poop in one, per in another ...... then switch up the pee box to become the poop box. Note both cats used the boxes for the same thing so they had a desire to separate their pee and poop. My single cat has two boxes (because I learned from this site) and he still predominantly poops in one box and pees in the other ....... and every few weeks switches it up. :dunno:

The only thing besides UTI and cat bullying issues is a comment from my cat from hell. Mind you I’m paraphrasing here but it was about training cats to use the toilet : basically cats own what smells like them and that gives them confidence. Litter boxes are extremely important territory. When you take that away your cat gets stressed and starts peeing/pooping in inappropriate places.

Perhaps you need a second box somewhere else or the litter robot does not leave enough of their scent? Either way my first go to answer is to get a second box with regular or clumping litter and place it in another room.

:goodluck:

:hangin:
You will solve his pee puzzle/issue eventually..... and figure out what he is trying to tell you.