Cat keeps meowing in the middle of the night

capkittens

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My boy Milo (1 year old) has taken to meowing in the middle of the night. I'm pretty sure it's because we won't let him outside due to it being winter and very cold - during the summer he usually stayed outside all night. He's a pretty spoiled cat and refuses to amuse himself with toys; seeming to prefer my partner's and my attention instead - only problem is that it's always at 4am!!

Unfortunately we can't install a cat flap as we live in rented accommodation. Any advice on what we can do? He's driving us insane, but we don't want him to get too cold outside!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

capkittens

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
He is neutered yes - and my partner and I make a point of playing with him right before bed. He usually keeps quiet for a few hours and then around 3-4am decides he's gonna be a pain!

orientals

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Maybe try a big play session and then feed him his usual evening meal at the time you guys go to bed instead of his usual dinner time. Also make sure this is his biggest meal of the day. Normally a cat wil groom and then sleep after a full meal. Hopefully all night!

Last edited:

catsins

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
How long has it been since he does that? One of my cats used to try to wake me up around 4-5am to play with me and only stopped when I started to ignore him completely, after a week or two he realized I won't  react and now he sleeps until my alarm rings.

I think he is just bored, a night outside probably had many adventures and now he has to stay inside with the same old toys and same old territory. If you play with him and feed him right before you go to sleep, you can try to sneakily hide pet treats all over the apartment / house, just make sure the first one is somewhere where he could find it easily, they might keep him busy and distracted. If there is a toy your cat loves, hide it during the day and leave it somewhere out when you go to bed. 

Primula

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My boy Milo (1 year old) has taken to meowing in the middle of the night. I'm pretty sure it's because we won't let him outside due to it being winter and very cold - during the summer he usually stayed outside all night. He's a pretty spoiled cat and refuses to amuse himself with toys; seeming to prefer my partner's and my attention instead - only problem is that it's always at 4am!!

Unfortunately we can't install a cat flap as we live in rented accommodation. Any advice on what we can do? He's driving us insane, but we don't want him to get too cold outside!
Get him used now to being inside and then keep him inside always. Otherwise you will go through this every winter. It's very dangerous for cats to be outside.