Cat keeps licking surgery site

Catbutt

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
November last year his left hind leg was amputated and December his right leg had to undergo minor surgery. Everything is fine now and he's loving life again, running and jumping around. However, he keeps grooming himself around the amputated leg. He doesn't seem in discomfort or pain. He doesn't lick the actual incision area, only the surrounding area. The incision spot actually has a nice thick layer of fur again. His hip is still a bit fuzzy and his belly almost completely bald and a bit red at times as well.

Could it be that the new growth is itchy, causing him to overgroom the area and licking away the new hair, essentially causing a virtuous circle? If I completely shave my beard it itches like crazy after a few days of new growth, so I could imagine something similar happening here... Any ideas?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Catbutt

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Picture from just now, almost 3 months post surgery
20220210_093401.jpg

vince

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Don't know if cats feel it, but humans sometimes have phantom pains in an amputated part. I don't see why cats couldn't have it. Perhaps that's what bothering him? I suppose it's like the itchiness you described.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I wouldn't doubt it at all. Healing causes itching too. You might get some cat wound spray at a farm supply store like Tractor Supply and apply it with a cotton ball or small cloth, it might soothe the area. They have them now with specific products for itching and pain.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Catbutt

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Don't know if cats feel it, but humans sometimes have phantom pains in an amputated part. I don't see why cats couldn't have it. Perhaps that's what bothering him? I suppose it's like the itchiness you described.
I'm hoping it's not phantom pain. What I've read though it seems that phantom pains are a lot more intense, like screaming and panic intense. Fortunately he's never showed any of that. He doesn't mind me touching him around the area pain wise. It does make him groom the area right away, but that's something he's always done (and still does) anywhere on his body. He probably thinks I'm gross lol.

I wouldn't doubt it at all. Healing causes itching too. You might get some cat wound spray at a farm supply store like Tractor Supply and apply it with a cotton ball or small cloth, it might soothe the area. They have them now with specific products for itching and pain.
Thanks for the suggestion. So I should be looking for something that suppresses itching, right? We have a wonderful webshop in my country that has all sorts of stuff, I'll have a look what they have!