Cat keeps 'hiding' scent on random places

comithy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Just something I've been curious about.

I noticed recently that my male cat (neutered if that matters) has been 'hiding his scent' on random places and starts scratching and burying an invisible object or I assume, his scent. I thought he was trying to hide his vomit or peeing/pooping out of the litter box but whenever I check these areas, there's nothing. And he usually does it when hes restless. I thought it was just a funny thing and am curious what triggers it.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi
If you live in a house, I think that there are other animals outside that he's able to detect, and if you live in an apartment there may be someone who moved in nearby with an animal.

If you aren't already, try some Cat Music for him and a calming product. I wouldn't suggest the plugins, they're expensive and don't always work.

Last edited:

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. Is he rolling in those areas? Are you in a new home, where there may be smells in the flooring that he is trying to cover? If not, it might just be boredom or maybe even fun for him. Try placing some cat scratching posts/boxes, or other toys in those areas, and see what he does. It probably doesn't mean anything that would be worrisome.