Cat keeps getting into garbage

CactusWithWings

Mama and 2 Fur Babies
Kitten
Purraise
I know a lot of people have the issue of pets getting into trash, but this is different and I genuinely can't figure out what to do.

My cat Jupiter had a litter of kittens three months ago, since then she acts like she's starving even if she has a full belly and gets into anything and everything she can. And I'm not joking when I say that. Before she gave birth she was always a perfect kitty to everyone aside from other animals, she never got into anything (unless we were careless and left food open on the counters while we weren't in the kitchen), never tried scratching me during baths, never stole food off of my plate, nothing. She was a good cat. But after giving birth to her kittens it was like I was looking at a whole new cat. I can barely see her old personality.
The reason I'm so concerned is because usually a cat won't eat any meat that smells rotten, because even they know it's a bad idea, but she has been doing to the extreme. The best example I have is when we forgot about a bunch of preseasoned chicken legs in the oven for a few weeks (we RARELY use the oven) and when we took care of it and put it in a garbage bag, the second we had turned our backs she tore open the bag and started eating it. And Incase you don't understand to the extent of decay these chicken legs were in, much of the meat had liquified and what meat was left on the bones was covered in dead maggots.
Another instance of her eating something she really shouldn't have is when my sister made potato leek soup. My sister is the kind of person who doesn't eat immediately after she cooks something, unless she's super hungry, and so she just took a few bites out of the pan and went and sat on the couch for maybe 5-10 minutes when she got back up to dish her food up, when she walked into the kitchen Jupiter had her entire face inside the pan and had licked it clean, and I mean that because there wasn't any liquid left in the pot. And on top of that the stove was still on because my sister wanted to keep her food warm, it was at a low heat but the pot was still HOT. And if you don't know, leeks are poisonous to cats if they eat them raw, I didn't know about it having to be raw to be fatal so I nearly had a break down because we have been so broke because of the pandemic we haven't been able to pay our rent or electricity bill, so there was/is no way for me to take her into a vet.
We still have the kittens so we can put her through a program that fixes female cats for free, it's meant for low income houses, and they take the kittens as well and finds new homes for them. The catch is they need to be 12 weeks, which they turn tomorrow.

We have been struggling with Jupiter's weight since she gave birth, even though we've been feeding her twice a day every day and even gave her extra for a long time. She slowly but surely has been gaining weight but she's still super thin. And another thing is that around the same time that these behaviors started, she also started meowing nonstop as if she hasn't been fed for days, and sometimes it verges on yowling. I know that the best thing I can do is to take her into the vet, but I can't, my bank account is constantly going negative for absolute necessities, so there's no way for me to take her in. That being said, I could use any advice you have for me, because we took all the trash down and cleaned our kitchen completely and the garbage can stays in the bathroom, but she knocked over a coffee cup full of coffee onto the ground even though it was in the corner of the counter up against two walls. I am at a loss as to what to do because she has been so different from what she used to be.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
I'm sorry you are having financial trouble. I know it probably doesn't help but you are not alone. Many people are in a similar situation since the pandemic and like yourself they also have pets. If you have a good relationship with your vet can you possibly call them since a phone call is free? I thought this Article might have some helpful information regarding not being able to afford a vet:
No Money For Vet Care? How To Find Help And Save Your Cat’s Life – TheCatSite Articles

Regarding her eating habits you will have to be vigilant and anticipate anything and everything she might get into. I know you are trying and it's difficult but as the saying goes, "an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure." We had a cat who was very similar. Even when we removed any and all food sources she would chew things that didn't make sense, e.g. my flip flops, the cord to the blinds, dollar bills, etc., etc. She certainly kept us on our toes. 😉 Perhaps other members will have some advice. Best of luck, I hope you are able to get some help both for your cat and financial situation.:crossfingers:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

CactusWithWings

Mama and 2 Fur Babies
Kitten
Purraise
She might be hungry. Can you leave a dish of dry food out at all times in a spot the kittens can't go?
No because we have other adult cats in the home, so she wouldn't get the food by herself, and the only place the kittens can't get to is the kitchen and bathroom counters which is counterproductive.

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My first cat, "K.C.," used to get into the garbage at night when I was asleep.

At the time, I had a swing-top garbage can that looked a lot like this one:

I balanced a paper cup, from McDonald's, filled with water on top of the garbage can.

The next morning, when I woke up, I found the cup and the water spilled on the kitchen floor but I never had a problem with K.C. going into the garbage can, again.

Cat McCannon

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
My guess is, if she’s underweight, nursing and eating everything she can get her paws on, she’s starving. She needs food. Feed her where the other cats can’t get to her food and feed her more than twice a day, if you can. If that means feeding her on the counter, do it. Wiping down the counter is better than having a malnourished cat.