Cat keeps abusing a scarf

Micaela227

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello everyone. This is Brian, he is almost 3 years old. I posted about him a few days ago for an unrelated problem.
He was spayed before he turned one (he had three babies before that). Even since then, he keeps doing that to that poor scarf. We tried taking it away to see if he would just stop, but he just do it to blankets. It's kind of gross and uncomfortable to live with, especially since he doesn't care at all who is watching. I added some pictures so you maybe understand better what I am talking about.
Anybody else's cat does this? Have you even heard about a cat doing this? I'm kind of embarrassed to talk about it with the vet.
Screenshot_20200316-125221_Video Player.jpg

Screenshot_20200316-125359_Video Player.jpg

Screenshot_20200316-125406_Video Player.jpg

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
He's just getting "happy" :lol: Some neutered males like to get "happy" because it, well, feels good to them. It's totally normal behavior. Give your cat something to get happy on if you prefer that he not use the scarf. Some cats will use an available Human leg or arm to get happy on so be glad your cat is just using a scarf:lol:

vince

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You're not gonna stop it. He'll just transition to something else. I have one that started on my feet in the bed! I got him to stop and now he does it to his "sister." Since she can take care of herself, she won't tolerate much of it from him. Still, it doesn't stop him from trying (they're both fixed).

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
My GSD who is still living would do this with my cat Billy, who obviously enjoyed it as well. If the dog laid down, Billy would do it to him. They both seemed completely happy about this habit and no one was ever hurt. Billy passed on two years ago from old age disease, and the dog has never attempted it with any other cat.

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
He was spayed ?

Are you talking about a male or a female? It's not clear in your post.

It is very common for cats to get flirty with inanimate objects though. Just be glad he's not flirty with your leg or body when you are trying to take a nap on the couch. My boy does this and it sometimes really hurts.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Micaela227

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
He was spayed ?

Are you talking about a male or a female? It's not clear in your post.

It is very common for cats to get flirty with inanimate objects though. Just be glad he's not flirty with your leg or body when you are trying to take a nap on the couch. My boy does this and it sometimes really hurts.
It's a male cat. He was spayed, neutered, castrated, I don't know what is the correct term. English is not my first language, sorry.

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
Neutered is typically what we call an altered male. Tom is an intact male. The procedure itself (removal of the testicals) is called castration.

Spayed is the term for a female cat who is altered. Intact females are called queens. Ovairiohysterectomy or spay is the procedure itself.

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Neuter works for either gender, as it just means removal of reproductive organs. You can just keep it simple and use neuter for all :)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Micaela227

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you!!