Cat just been neutered, after some advice.

BubzaLuna

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello everyone. I haven't visited in about 4 months since all my previous issues were resolved (cat introductions) but I've decided to come back to ask for advice here as everyone was so helpful before. We got our kitten neutered today and whilst she seems to be acting as you'd expect, there's a few worries I have that are causing me some anxiety about the whole thing.

I've ordered her a jacket to wear to cover her wound as the vet gave her a cone and she really doesn't like it. It has left her unbalanced and she just keeps bumping into things. I don't think she knows either that she can still turn left and right with the cone on, shes been reversing instead of turning 😭 so just wondering how safe these jackets are and are they easy to put on? I don't want to be tugging her too much as she's obviously in some pain.

Secondly, on the subject of the cone, im really worried that when I sleep tonight she's going to take it off and have a good bite at her stitches. I don't really know what happens if the stitches come out, so I think I just need a bit of educating on how I'd need to react if such a situation arises.

Lastly, we are keeping the adult cat and kitten separate until the wound has healed enough, but tonight for a few moments they did see eachother and my adult cat hissed at her. I don't know if the cone freaked her out or she just a bit uneasy about seeing her again after her not being in the house for 6 hours. Is this a typical reaction?

Thank you for reading my over anxious rant lol and thanks in advance for any advice!

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It may take a while for the hissing to stop. Your kitten still smells different from being at the vet so your other cat doesn't recognize her. Trying mixing their scents by rubbing a towel on both of them. One of my cats would always do this and it took about three days for the hissing to stop, my other cat would just sniff the cat just back from the vet really good all over and that would be it. It just depends on the cat as to whether they do the hissing or not.

As far as the cone goes, to be honest I didn't use it the last time I had a cat spayed and she was fine. The vet told me if she started obsessively licking at the incision then I would need to put the cone on. A lot of people have good luck with what we here in the states call a baby onesie.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi! As far as the cone overnight tonight, can you risk losing a little sleep and put her near enough to you to kind of keep watch over her - just to see how she reacts? That should help give you some clues about how she is going to react to it. Regarding the jackets/onesies, many of them are easy to get on and off - the biggest issue lies in how your cat receives wearing it and if she is going to resist more and more as you take it on and off of her.

I haven't had a cat spayed in over 13 years, but I never used a cone - although, I was home with her throughout her recovery and could watch what she was doing.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

BubzaLuna

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi! As far as the cone overnight tonight, can you risk losing a little sleep and put her near enough to you to kind of keep watch over her - just to see how she reacts? That should help give you some clues about how she is going to react to it. Regarding the jackets/onesies, many of them are easy to get on and off - the biggest issue lies in how your cat receives wearing it and if she is going to resist more and more as you take it on and off of her.

I haven't had a cat spayed in over 13 years, but I never used a cone - although, I was home with her throughout her recovery and could watch what she was doing.
Thanks for your reply. Not having the cone on is definitely not an option as I am losing my mind over it being on as it is lol!! I keep thinking she will rip it off and get at the stitches, without it on I'd be even more paranoid 🤣 I have definitely accepted I'm not gonna get a lot of sleep tonight as I am so worried about her, she's super sleepy at the moment and is just laying on my rug, idk if she's gonna liven up a bit later on in the night (or morning). I will certainly give the onesie a try as I think it would be a fantastic alternative. Thanks again for the advicr

BubzaLuna

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It may take a while for the hissing to stop. Your kitten still smells different from being at the vet so your other cat doesn't recognize her. Trying mixing their scents by rubbing a towel on both of them. One of my cats would always do this and it took about three days for the hissing to stop, my other cat would just sniff the cat just back from the vet really good all over and that would be it. It just depends on the cat as to whether they do the hissing or not.

As far as the cone goes, to be honest I didn't use it the last time I had a cat spayed and she was fine. The vet told me if she started obsessively licking at the incision then I would need to put the cone on. A lot of people have good luck with what we here in the states call a baby onesie.
Thanks for the advice :) here's to hoping the hissing will stop lol! I'm far too paranoid not to have any protection on her so I definitely don't want to take the cone off, I just hope the onesie fits her well and she doesn't fuss too much.

BubzaLuna

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Oh gosh guys she's giving me mini heart attacks 😭😭 she's just decided to jump up on the sofa and then jump onto the back cushion. Obviously I can't control this but I am so scared she's gonna harm herself. There isn't a single room in the house that doesn't have some sort of item she usually jumps up on. The incision does look very well stitched up, what is the likely hood that she'd pop the stitches out from jumping?

BubzaLuna

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Typical, frankly!!! Just keep an eye on the stitches. She will most likely be just fine!
This is honestly horrendous 🤣 she's so restless and I can tell she just wants to relax and sleep but she keeps waking herself up, I assume from pain. She had a painkiller at 8pm which I think she has had most of as I put it on her food and most of it is gone, maybe it hasn't worked? When my adult cat got neutered as a kitten she literally slept all day and then spent the rest of the time whilst healing just being lazy. That's the only experience I've had, so I'm really nervous this time around.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Some cats react to coming off of anesthesia with a bit of the crazies. I am not sure why, but only you can tell if you think it is related to pain or not. Do you have someone you can call in the vet's office about when it would be safe for another dose of pain meds? She is just not relaxed, but whether or not it is pain related is only something you can tell based on what you know about her.

BubzaLuna

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Some cats react to coming off of anesthesia with a bit of the crazies. I am not sure why, but only you can tell if you think it is related to pain or not. Do you have someone you can call in the vet's office about when it would be safe for another dose of pain meds? She is just not relaxed, but whether or not it is pain related is only something you can tell based on what you know about her.
Well the reason I think pain is because she has tried a few times now (quite aggressively) to get to her incision. She has the cone on so hasn't be able to do so, but that tells me it's most likely causing her pain. Of course it could be something else, like itching, but I'm not sure. She was really distressed when she did it. She hasn't tried now for about 45 minutes but shes just walking around the lounge in circles. She will lay down for 15 minutes max but then get up again. I know she's not feeling great, it's just really unsettling to watch :( the next 10 days are gonna be vile.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
It's likely a combination of everything - anesthesia, pain meds, cone, 'itchies', and general discomfort. Whatever you do normally to comfort her, do it now! I think even by tomorrow you will see a bit of a difference. And, I can't imagine that she will need that cone for 10 days - honestly!

BubzaLuna

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It's likely a combination of everything - anesthesia, pain meds, cone, 'itchies', and general discomfort. Whatever you do normally to comfort her, do it now! I think even by tomorrow you will see a bit of a difference. And, I can't imagine that she will need that cone for 10 days - honestly!
Thanks for listening to my dramatics 🤣 these cats will kill me!! I know people say "they are just pets" but I really don't view it like that, they are like my children.

Much to my disapproval she's just jumped back up onto the sofa, but this time has come and laid on my chest, purring like mad.

Thank you again for talking to me through this, I can't tell you how much I appreciate it.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
These cats may not kill us, but I swear they certainly age us - and, you know what, in the end they are far less impacted by it all than we are (I kind of like that fact, but hate it at the same time - you know what I mean?). Glad to see she is purring on your lap - you know one thing for sure as to how to comfort her - let her stay there all night long if need be! My bladder (and, sometimes thirst) have paid a dear price in that regard. Keep us posted!!!

BubzaLuna

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Ok I'm really sorry to have to message again but she's just gone a bit mad. She was laying on me and suddenly started growling, then she jumped down and was spinning in circles meowing and growling trying to get to the wound. She's now sat at our backdoor breathing really heavy and just staring into space. I'm really concerned that it's causing her pain and isn't just from being itchy. I can't take my attention from her for a minute because if she knocks that cone off that'll be it. :(

Telstar

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I've ordered her a jacket to wear to cover her wound as the vet gave her a cone and she really doesn't like it.
Please get the jacket asap. I have had a very bad experience with cone with my kitty and I wish I knew those existed.

BubzaLuna

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Please get the jacket asap. I have had a very bad experience with cone with my kitty and I wish I knew those existed.
Oh no what happened to your kitty? :(

Telstar

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Oh no what happened to your kitty? :(
I do not really wanna recall those TWO weeks. It's the only time my cat (now 5) has been sick. Let's just say that he scracthed his would with the cone and he got an infection.

Telstar

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I do not really wanna recall those TWO weeks. It's the only time my cat (now 5) has been sick. Let's just say that he scracthed his would with the cone and he got an infection.
Wound.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Ok I'm really sorry to have to message again but she's just gone a bit mad. She was laying on me and suddenly started growling, then she jumped down and was spinning in circles meowing and growling trying to get to the wound. She's now sat at our backdoor breathing really heavy and just staring into space. I'm really concerned that it's causing her pain and isn't just from being itchy. I can't take my attention from her for a minute because if she knocks that cone off that'll be it. :(
The best thing you can do is call the vet, explain what she is doing and ask if perhaps the pain meds are not strong enough, or could be given more frequently.

BubzaLuna

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
This is really horrible :( I am so sorry that happened to your baby. My kitten is quite frequently trying to get to the wound and her cone obviously hits her side, but I don't think it reaches far enough to hit the wound. I have the onesie now but my partner will come home and help me with it. I'm even worried about that though, that she will start biting at the wound through the material.