Cat jumping in chandelier from loft

Ashy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Does anyone know how I can get my cat to stop jumping into my chandelier? She uses my loft ledge and dives onto it. I don’t want to risk her getting injured as it’s quite high and also don’t want to risk the chandelier falling somehow. It literally shakes when she jumps in and out and makes noises. I tried blocking the ledge and such but she always find a way around it. Please help. I’ve tried stopping and correcting it and nothing is working!

Attachments

Azazel

Time spent with cats is never wasted.
Top Cat
Purraise
Wow, she is having the time of her life!

I would worry about her getting injured too. Unfortunately I can't think of any solution besides removing the chandelier.

vince

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Jeez! That is scary! You could rewire it with a longer chain and wire and make a swag light out of it, then install a hook and move it far enough away from the balcony that kitty couldn't jump into it. Can't really tell from the pix, but it might hang low enough to move it away without having to do all that.

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You could always try the Jackson Galaxy approach to basically every cat problem . . . hire a carpenter and make your home a cat fantasy with "superhighways" up high and other fun structures. So much fun stuff that maybe, all that money later, maybe, just maybe, the cat would have too much other stuff to do.

Sorry, I don't have any actually good ideas. You might just need to get an electrician to put in a boring fixture until the cat gets too old and/or fat to bother with this sort of thing.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. There are plexi-glass panels that you could affix to the either the top of the banister (or at floor level if your cat can get between the spindles) and to the ceiling that would preclude her from being able to jump. They are 'see-through' so as not to be so obvious from afar. If you are not 'handy', you could hire a local handyman to do the job. There are several ways to do this that would be easy to repair once your cat has figured out there isn't any way to jump there anymore, and when you are ready to remove them.

Last edited:

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You could:

A) Make the chandelier less appealing to jump on. Get a different one that doesn’t have a landing spot or modify the current one so she can’t land there.

B) Give her something to jump on that she would like better like a special platform built just for the purpose.

C) All of the above. Make the current landing spot unappealing so that she’ll choose a better landing spot that’s safer.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Yikes! :eek2: I suppose you could try to block the banister, but I think replacing the fixture with something flush to the ceiling might be the safest solution.

Your cat isn't the only one who loves high places, and scaring their "parents".
Cat Growls and hisses at me and kitten

Hellenww

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Amazing and heart sinking all at once. If you go with removing/adapting the chandelier I think you would also need a to put up a barrier/wall (hopefully temporarily) so she can't get to the bannister and jump before she realizes her landing spot is gone.