Cat isn’t eating

ChunkyNaomBaby

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
This is a really long story, but I really need some advice and don’t want to leave out any important details. My cat Baby Is 2 years old, and very healthy. She stopped eating about six days ago. She was also throwing up bile a couple times a day. About three days ago she started eating a little, but stopped again. Yesterday morning we took her to the vet, where they took a blood and chemical test and examined her. They didn’t find anything wrong, so they decided to treat her according to her symptoms. They gave her a Cerenia injection and Famotidine injection. They also prescribed 1/4 of a Famotidine tablet every 12 hours, and a Cerenia tablet every 24 hours. After the injections she seemed a bit better, as she was more alert and actually purred for the first time in a week. She still wasn’t eating, but I read that it was normal for cats to not eat for 24 hours after those injections. At 9:00 pm last night, I gave her 1/4 of the Famotidine pill (it took three people to get her to take it) and a little bit of water with a dropper. This morning she still wasn’t eating, and I gave her the cerenia pill(which she hated) and another 1/4 of the Famotidine. She still hasn’t eaten anything and it has been about 30 hours since her injections. I have tried to giver everything I could find, stuff she used to go crazy for, but she still won’t eat. She drinks a little water, but most of the time she just hovers over the water bowl. When I offer her food she is really interested and looks like she is about to eat it, but then doesn’t. She pees 2 or three times a day, and has no trouble peeing. She hasn’t pooped in a couple days, at least not during the day when I watch her. Here are some symptoms of hers:
  1. No appetite
  2. Lethargy
  3. Sleeping all day
  4. Has her fur raised a lot
  5. Cold ears(my other cats ears are warm)
  6. Licks lips a lot
  7. Dry paw pads
  8. Very weak
I really don’t think I can afford another vet visit, but I am really worried for her. Is there anything I can do at home to help her eat? Should I ask the vet to prescribe appetite stimulants? Could it be the medication? My three cats all eat Fancy feast grilled seafood canned food once a day, and Purina One tender selects blend dry food mixed with Purina One Hairball formula dry food. My other two cats are perfectly fine. They are all siblings, and have never had anything like this before. I have also tried giving her Laxatone, because I thought she stopped eating because of a Hairball. It didn’t help.
I really don’t know what to do.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
If you can get to a store and they have any pick up a jar of pure chicken meat baby food and thin it down a bit with water. If you can’t get the baby food, boil some chicken and chop it up very fine for her. Usually this will entice a cat to eat at least a little bit.

molly92

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't have experience with those medications unfortunately. I second the baby food recommendation, which is one of the mildest, easiest, and tastiest form of calories. Gerber or Beechnut stage 2 is good. If she'll let you, you can try putting some on her nose and she'll probably lick it off.

When was the last time she had a bowel movement? Did you notice anything different with bowel movements before she stopped eating? Her symptoms are consistent with bad constipation, however I assume the vet would have felt for that during a physical exam. BUT, in some cats it's very difficult to feel for constipation physically and an X-ray would be needed. Did you notice any straining in the litter box at all?

But it might not be constipation, she could just be nauseous from something and the not eating is making everything worse. She definitely sounds dehydrated (you can check with the tent test), and I would at least want the vet to give her some subcutaneous fluids. That alone could help perk her up enough to start eating again.

It sounds like she didn't have a fever yet, which is good, but I am very worried about her and I think you should call the vet and see what they suggest.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ChunkyNaomBaby

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
If you can get to a store and they have any pick up a jar of pure chicken meat baby food and thin it down a bit with water. If you can’t get the baby food, boil some chicken and chop it up very fine for her. Usually this will entice a cat to eat at least a little bit.
Thanks for replying. I just went to the store and picked up some baby food, maybe she will eat it.

ChunkyNaomBaby

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I don't have experience with those medications unfortunately. I second the baby food recommendation, which is one of the mildest, easiest, and tastiest form of calories. Gerber or Beechnut stage 2 is good. If she'll let you, you can try putting some on her nose and she'll probably lick it off.

When was the last time she had a bowel movement? Did you notice anything different with bowel movements before she stopped eating? Her symptoms are consistent with bad constipation, however I assume the vet would have felt for that during a physical exam. BUT, in some cats it's very difficult to feel for constipation physically and an X-ray would be needed. Did you notice any straining in the litter box at all?

But it might not be constipation, she could just be nauseous from something and the not eating is making everything worse. She definitely sounds dehydrated (you can check with the tent test), and I would at least want the vet to give her some subcutaneous fluids. That alone could help perk her up enough to start eating again.

It sounds like she didn't have a fever yet, which is good, but I am very worried about her and I think you should call the vet and see what they suggest.
I haven’t noticed any straining in the litter box. I gave her some laxatives for hairballs(that’s what I thought it was a first) for a few days, so if it was constipation that should have helped. I will try to call the vet and see what they think I should do.

amandag1

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Try different types of fancy feast, boiled chicken, the broth packets from fancy feast or the delectables lickable bisques... i would grab a bunch of different types and see if she’ll go for those
My cat will never refused the delectables even when he isnt feeling good

ChunkyNaomBaby

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Did they check her mouth for dental problems/mouth sores?
I’m not sure. Because of the Coronavirus laws they didn’t let anyone in, they took your pet from your car and did the exam without you in the room. If she is still not really eating on Monday when they open, I will call them and ask.

ChunkyNaomBaby

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Try different types of fancy feast, boiled chicken, the broth packets from fancy feast or the delectables lickable bisques... i would grab a bunch of different types and see if she’ll go for those
My cat will never refused the delectables even when he isnt feeling good
Thanks for the suggestion. I will try and grab some of those tomorrow.

kittenmittens84

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hovering over the water bowl and seeming interested in food but not eating it sounds like nausea - can you call the vet on the phone and ask what they’d recommend you do if your cat hasn’t improved any?