Cat Is Yelling In Empty Rooms

mishmash

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
One of my cats, Sharky, a 6 year old male, has this weird habit of going into empty rooms and "yelling". It's his "I'm lonely!" call, like a trill/meow. He'll do this until my husband and I either call him to us or we go to him to snap him out of it, and he always acts so happy to see us, like we've been away for a whole day. He's healthy otherwise and none of my other cats do this. Sometimes he'll even sit in the same room as us, facing away, and start calling out as if he's talking to ghosts (probably not). It's like he forget's we're there with him and again, he acts really happy to see us when we snap him out of it. What the heck is this behaviour? Any ideas?

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
Hi! I'm not sure - sometimes in older cats it can be because of dementia. However, are you in an apartment? He could very possibly be hearing other animals, or if you live in a house there is something going on outside that's he's intensely interested in. (he's neutered?)

In reading your post, I got to thinking what if you started working with him with clicker training?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mishmash

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi! I'm not sure - sometimes in older cats it can be because of dementia. However, are you in an apartment? He could very possibly be hearing other animals, or if you live in a house there is something going on outside that's he's intensely interested in. (he's neutered?)

In reading your post, I got to thinking what if you started working with him with clicker training?
We're in an apartment, so hearing other animals is a good possibility! And yes, he is neutered. I wonder about the dementia, though. I thought he'd be too young still, but I suppose like people there is a chance it could be early in onset. It might be time for another vet visit, just to rule this out or anything like going deaf or blind. If it's just a boredom thing, I think clicker training is a great idea! We play with and interact with him regularly, but maybe he needs more mental stimulation. Thanks for your input!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mishmash

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Lots and lots of cats do this, especially as they get older . With senior cats it can be disorientation or stress but with younger cats I don’t think it means much other than they like the echo of their voice or as I tell my girl, that she needs to sing the song of her people.
Haha! My youngest, Gary (Bengal mix) likes to get really vocal while he's walking or running in his cat wheel, so it could be that Sharky just likes the sound of his voice too. Our apartment does have nice acoustics. lol