Cat Is Very Stuffy And Snotty

Flynnmom1

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello,

I adopted my new young adult cat about 2 months ago from the shelter. When I got him he clearly had a stuffed nose you heard when breathing and he’d sneeze quite often, but on his medical sheets it said it was nothing. Still, I took him to the vet. The vet said it was also nothing serious but to give him Lysine and it should go away. I’ve done research on lysine and it’s shown to not really do anything but I’ve given it to him everyday since. Two months later and his symptoms have not gotten better, or if anything gotten worse. He is sneezing yellow constantly and some days he is more congested than others.

I don’t really want to go back to this vet because she has shrugged off my concerns (about another previous unrelated problem as well) and she is the only one nearby. Any opinions on what this could be or what I should do? I will take him to the vet but I want a list of possibilities I can give first since clearly this vet hasn’t taken me seriously when I have gone in for concern.

Thanks so much.

Hellenww

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Since the discharge is yellow it sounds like an infection and the vet should give you antibiotics. There are a few thing you can do to give him some relief. When you shower take him in the closed bathroom with you, the steam will temporarily thin the mucus. Also get some saline eye drops and apply a few times a day. Make sure the drops contain ONLY saline and no other medicine.

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Im not a vet, but too me it sounds like a respiratory infection. I would think antibiotics may be needed. Especially if he is sneezing yellow.

If at all possible i would recommend a different vet.

At home try to keep the air as clean as possible, its spring now, at least where i am. Pollen and all can make a URI worse, and he could be having some allergy issues too. I would keep the windows closed, run the air if needed. Dust with a damp cloth to make sure as little dust or pollen in the house as possible. Vacuum well, wash all cat beds, anywhere he lays or sleeps. Make sure your litter is unscented, and as dust free as possible. I use one of the grass litters that are becoming popular, if you have a Kroger near by their abound brand is good. but other petstores have other brands. I also quite like Litter Maid walnut litter, you can find it at walmart. Also do not use scented household products, candles, oils sprays, that kind of thing.

Best luck, and do keep us updated.

lookitsria

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Was going to say the same- like in a human, when boogers/mucus are a color like green or yellow it usually means an infection and a trip to the doctors is necessary.

As for your vet not giving the attention you desire, are there other vets in the area that you can try out?

love67742

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I think your cat may have an infection if his snot is green/yellow. when i was reading I was thinking he may have allergies, but yellow snot means infection. could be respiratory... :(