Cat Is Very Agitated...is It Medical Or Stress?

Espalia

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Having finally conquered the kittens’ many ills we are now facing unrest in the household. Cookie, my 10yo female has always been a precious little thing - I suspect she suffers from slight touch-sensitivity and also general moodiness, so sometimes she will suddenly nip or swat at our hands when we pet her for too long and this is highly dependent on her mood. She will also get into these ‘agitated states’ where she does not allow me to touch her/pick her up and she moves from place to place, like she has a hard time settling down and sometimes she will make unhappy chirps while doing this.

Enter the kittens. Without going into it too much, part of the reason we got the kittens was to help with some of these behavioral issues. We were beginning to suspect she gets bored as an indoor cat (she grew up in a multi-cat, indoor-outdoor household). We tried getting another cat in the past and while the match didn’t work, I actually saw a dramatic improvement in her behavior and irritability that lasted well beyond that additional cat leaving our family.
So anyways, the introduction of the kittens seemed to go really well at first. There was minimal hissing but no attacks and she tolerated close proximity early on. She would come up to sniff them while they were sleeping, but hiss and growl if they ran up to her while playing. She often sniffed and touched noses, especially with Marcel. Sometimes she even licked their ears.

However, in recent weeks she seems to be bothered more by their presence. We did let them start coming out at night and that sort of coincided with the change in her irritability. Sometimes we still lock them up so that we can sleep and relations do not improve (in fact they seem worse after those nights). Usually it will start out with one of the kittens going up to her and sniffing noses, which she seems fine with. Then they will often start going for the tummy (they are both suckling fiends) and this FREAKS her out. She hisses and sort of coughs and sneezes and walks away from them. After this happens she will seem to be more bothered by them being close by. If they push it and follow her up onto the bed or play with her tail she will eventually get to the point where she is giving ‘warning meows’ when she is on the bed and sees them moving around in the floor and does the agitation thing where she keeps moving around and laying down for a few minutes then getting up and moving again. If they jump up onto the bed sometimes she will lunge at them to get them to leave, but I don’t believe her claws are ever out. If they walk up next to her while she is eating she will swat at them until they leave, again with no claws. Since we got the kittens she has not allowed me to trim her claws and I am really worried about this for two reasons: I obviously don’t want her to hurt the kittens if she does have her claws out, and I see her getting her claws caught on things and I think this contributes to her agitation.

We did just buy a feliway multicat diffuser and plugged it in yesterday. Doesn’t appear to be doing much. I am thinking maybe play therapy could be good for her, but she is reluctant to play for more than a few minutes. I feel so bad for her because she seems stressed out all the time. I am a little surprised that the kittens bother her to this extent, because the last cat we had would actively stalk and attack her - even pin her down and bite her (and if it was anywhere as hard as he bit us, it was hard) pretty much all the time. I believe we had that cat for about 3 months and she actually adjusted to his presence fairly quickly. I don’t remember her being this agitated, however right before we got that cat she was downright unreasonable (I could hardly touch her, she was basically upset all the time), so maybe it’s just the juxtaposition.

I have also noticed that she is scratching around her ears more often than I remember, and it suddenly occurred to me that something else could be bothering her, like FAD. The kittens came home with fleas about 6 weeks ago and everyone was treated with Revolution. They were just given their second treatment a few days ago. When I pet her I feel two little bumps, like they could be cuts or bites(?) behind her ear but when I root around I can’t see anything (she usually gets fed up with me doing this before I can find anything). She did go to the vet a month ago after the kittens brought in the fleas and she was given a clean bill of health. I know the obvious thing is to take her to the vet, but I have been taking three cats to the vet a lot recently and money is a little tight right now. Plus, I don’t want to stress her out more with another visit to the vet if she’s not sick.

Finally, I awoke last week to the sound of alleycats screaming bloody murder outside and I heard Cookie jump down from the bed growling softly. Could this be the cause of her agitation? unfortunately many people around here let their cats outside, so they aren’t necessarily feral and I can’t trap them.

What do you think? Should I do a reintroduction? Are there any calming products that people have had success with, either for agitation or cat introductions? What about fixes for cats outside that can’t be removed?

0CB3E9AC-BFBD-4985-BDE5-713933111C6D.jpeg

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
You know, I think this might well be stress-related. If she is eating/drinking/eliminating normally, it almost certainly is. And there are things that you can do for it. I'm going to give you links to several articles, including some on stress and some on introducing cats (since introductions and reintroductions are just alike). However...here is something that you can absolutely try. Chamomile tea. You know, that wonderful tea that so reduces stress in humans. Turns out it also reduces stress in cats and dogs, as well, and is safe at the proper dosages. Brew a cup, chill it in the fridge, and give it via syringe, up to 3 teaspoons per dose, up to three times a day. And brew a cup for yourself, while you're at it, with all of that going on, I'm sure it will do you good! Just be sure to sweeten yours with honey. Much better than sugar! OH, and chilled without sweetener it can be used as a soothing wash on any skin ouchy. Cat or human. In fact, one of our members uses it now for her eczema with very good results!

On to the articles:

Six Surefire Strategies To Reduce Stress In Cats
Potential Stressors In Cats - The Ultimate Checklist
Is Your Cat Stressed Out?
You, Your Cat And Stress

Introducing Cats To Cats
How To Successfully Introduce Cats: The Ultimate Guide
How To Safely Break Up A Cat Fight (just in case)
Do Cats Get Jealous? (and What To Do About It When They Do)

Let us know how thing progress!

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Is it possible that she is experiencing random pain or is over sensitive? I would talk to your vet about it. Sometimes they can treat it.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Everything sounds fairly normal to me. She sounds like a very typical older female, moody and with overstimulation syndrome. Too much and she freaks out. She most likely has a limit you'll have to find, like how many pets before she lashes out. Her 'job' in the household is to teach manners to those pesky kittens, lashing out, even with claws. Growls and hisses are normal too. She still isn't sure what is going on, the disruption to her calm house will take months to accustom to. Secretly she likes the excitement, she isn't bored now, and eventually she will accept and even enjoy the kittens. They might never be sleeping buddies but they will be family. The ear scratching could very well be a symptom of stress too, especially where she was recently seen by a vet. Give her some undivided attention and a few yummy treats she doesn't have to share. Always feed them close together to promote good feelings. it may be the only time for a while they get along until those feisty kittens grow up a little.
I have never trimmed any cats claws in my life, and have never had a problem with them. So don't worry about that now, it just adds to her stress levels. You can't really control the cats outside, but I would limit her ability to see them at all, like close the blinds or hang a sheet in front of the windows at night, at least until everyone settles down. It is definitely not helping her stress, maybe you can sprinkle around some cat repellant or even pepper where those cats hang out to discourage them.
She is going through a tremendous change right now and CATS HATE CHANGE! So give her a little alone time when you can, make sure she has a comfy spot somewhere she can monitor the kittens and defend herself from their intrusions, my Chrissy spent months on top the fridge. I ended up putting a bed there and some food and water. She eventually came down and joined the family.
Right now I have tussles a few times a week, screaming, rolling on the floor, fur flying and hisses and growls. And this is between a mother and her three year old sons! Females are truly little divas (most of them any how) and their part in the family is to make sure those little ones have the respect and the manners they need, and it is her responsibility to make sure they get it. Don't stress out too much yourself, it WILL happen, it may take a year, but it WILL! Everything at your house sounds like it has happened so many times in my own household, with so many blended families and new kittens coming in, and you may have to step in once in awhile and break things up when they get too intense, like I do. Don't let them attack/stalk her when she is trying to use the litterbox, or is sleeping, they definitely need to learn their boundaries. Get yourself a kickeroo on Amazon and throw it to the kittens when they are intense on bothering their poor stepmother. This will divert their attention and she can watch. All the luck!

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Espalia

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
danteshuman danteshuman I think she’s a little over sensitive. I’ll definitely bring it up with the vet now that I have a good one. The kittens are due for shots in a week

di and bob di and bob oh gosh it is so nice to hear that you think this a fairly normal transition situation. They adore her so much that they immediately start purring when she is nearby, so it’s a little heart breaking to see her reject them so thoroughly. They do seem to be more interested in her recently, and they stalk each other in the litter box it’s a habit I’m trying to break. I will definitely take your advice about diverting their attention and keep them from harassing her in the box/while asleep.

Something else we’ve notice in recent days... it’s seems like Cookie has a really hard time detecting when the kittens are nearby. Just the other day she jumped on the bed while Marcel was curled up next to me and she didn’t notice at all until she stepped on him trying to climb onto me and then freaked out and started hissing. Then last night she jumped up onto my pillow and Terrence was laying right next to my head. He started purring madly. She settled down right next to him, looking out the window. Then she looked down to her side and realized he was there and started hissing and “sneezing” (she makes this weird sound like she’s sneezing when she’s upset) at him. I’m wondering if maybe her sense of smell is not as excellent as it should be? If she doesn’t realize the kittens are nearby they must seem like they materialize near her all of the sudden - I can see why that would be disconcerting.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My cats do teh same thing, jump on a bed and almost on top of another, they scare each other all the time. That sneezing is most likely her way of telling them to stay their distance. My Chrissy used to make the weirdest noise, almost like she was wailing in pain, and I would come running. She would be carrying a toy in her mouth. Then one day I saw an outside cat use that same noise to 'call' her kittens for a mouse she had in her mouth. AH HA! It will just take time!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Espalia

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Mamanyt1953 Mamanyt1953 very interesting tip about the Chamomile tea, I will try it out. We could probably all use a little more chamomile in our lives.

Also, thanks for all th articles. She is eating/drinking/eliminating normally so I do think it is stress. It was interesting to learn that my stress could be stressing her out...this is probably the case and I should find a way to chill out.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Make a cup of tea for her, and one for you! There have been times in my life when I would have run screaming down the street if not for chamomile tea!