Cat Is Unhappy With My New Kitten

Opalarcade

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I've had my cat for about 2 years and she just had her 2nd litter. We decided to keep one of the kittens because they seemed to get along well. Now the kitten is about 3 months old and my cat is not happy. She never wants to be inside anymore (only comes inside to eat and then meows to be let back out). We used to be super close (she used to sleep right next to my head at night and would follow me around the house), but now she barely ever wants to be around me and actually just growled at me for the first time ever! I believe this behavior is due to the kitten being around because she also refuses to interact with the kitten. It's making me very upset to see her so unhappy. I'm not sure whether we should wait it out and see if her and her kitten will return to being happy around each other, or if we should start looking for a new home for the kitten (which I am hoping is not the case because I have grown quite attached to her). Is this normal cat behavior?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Opalarcade

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Has mama been spayed now? If not, she may be pregnant again. :(
She actually is pregnant again. We were planning on getting her spayed after this previous litter but we were still looking for a clinic when she got pregnant. Planning on getting her spayed as soon as this next litter is gone. Could this be the reason she's acting so moody?

susanm9006

Lola
Top Cat
Purraise
She actually is pregnant again. We were planning on getting her spayed after this previous litter but we were still looking for a clinic when she got pregnant. Planning on getting her spayed as soon as this next litter is gone. Could this be the reason she's acting so moody?
Yes. Her natural instinct is to focus on her unborn babies and this means pushing away her last litter. So you don’t get caught with another surprise pregnancy you want to get her in for a spay just as soon as her kittens start solid food.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I was afraid of that. Cats can get pregnant again while still nursing. And even, sometimes, without showing a visual heat. :(

How far along is she, do you know? Ensure she is getting good nutritional food, as back-to-back pregnancies is hard on them.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
That would be the reason. Her kitten is taking nutrition that she needs to form these new babies into proper, viable kittens. I'm glad to hear that you will be spaying her once this litter comes. Ask your vet when to do this. The kittens do NOT have to be weaned before she has her surgery.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
How far along is she? You can have her spayed now with no issues. It would be best for mom. Back to back litters are very hard on cats.

If you’d like help finding a low-cost spay clinic in your area, post your city and state.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
I agree with Sarthur2 Sarthur2 You could get her spayed now, before her pregnancy is too far along. This will be much easier on the cat than having back to back litters and much cheaper for you.

Three litters at only two years of age is a lot for a cat to deal with.

If you let us know which city/state you live in we could help you find a cheap clinic.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Opalarcade

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you but I'm not asking for advice on the pregnancy of my cat and I know how to find a clinic by myself.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Thank you but I'm not asking for advice on the pregnancy of my cat and I know how to find a clinic by myself.
That's great! Please get her and the kitten spayed as soon as possible. Kittens can start producing kittens themselves at 5 months of age, so there is no time to waste.

Most behavioral problems in multi-cat households can be solved by having all the animals spayed or neutered. It really does help the cats get along with each other.

Good luck! Please keep us posted.

:goodluck: