Cat is too docile

Futrvet

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have been looking after this feral cat in my backyard lately and she is super nice. I suspect she might have used to be someone's pet at the time. She however is a little too nice. She does not show aggression to when she needs to. There is a cat or kitten from her previous litter that is very close to her who hangs around his mama still. The mama feral cat now has newborn kittens who are about a week old and she let's her older son into the box with her when she is nursing. Her son has also tried to take her kittens out of the box and play with them like I have seen him do with a dead chipmunk. The mother really does not react and now her own son is starting to bully her and dominate her and she does not put up a fight. She just looks defeated. Isn't this odd behavior, especially for a mama cat? Why does she act like this?

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Poor mom cat. She may be too tired or weak to push away her older kitten. How old is he? Is there any chance of moving mom and her babies to a safer spot where they can be away from the older kitten?

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
If you are sure he is a male I would move the litter. She sounds weak and tired as susanm9006 susanm9006 said which might be the result of multiple litters among other things. Years ago I did have an issue with my own pet male cat who was indoor/outdoor at the time going after a litter of kittens who were born on my property and he had another male cat with him that I never saw before or after. If you have any way of providing shelter for her that would be best.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Futrvet

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Poor mom cat. She may be too tired or weak to push away her older kitten. How old is he? Is there any chance of moving mom and her babies to a safer spot where they can be away from the older kitten?
The older kitten I believe is about 9 months old or a bit younger. He is not yet an adult but he is getting pretty close to being fully grown. I guess it does make sense that she is tired as well. She didn't give birth too long ago. The safest spot would be putting her inside my garage or house, but she would hate being closed in the garage and being feral she would probably get in trouble in the house. I am considering making some sort of outside pen area where she can get more privacy. She usually just sits in a box outside.

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Is the 9 month old male neutered? If not he may be removing the kittens to mate with the female.... If so please ignore. She does sound exhausted though. I would separate them for her own sake, she needs rest and quiet.