Cat Is Throwing Herself At Screen

riley1

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Hi, my cat and I live alone! To keep her entertained I open the patio door and let her view all the birds, chippies, etc. through the screen door. Now I see that she has been trying to charge the prey and has pulled the screen away from the spline. One more push and she could be out in the great outdoors! I have been keeping the door shut and plan on fixing the screen but I hate to take this fun away from her. I know that there are special pet screens but these are more for a dog or cat that destroys the screen itself, not pulling it from the bottom. Does anyone know how I can enforce the spline part to keep the screen secure? Any help would be appreciated!

Wanted to add: I can't take her out on a harness! She hates the harness and is afraid of the outdoors. Would not stop her from running after something and getting lost, however. Also, I live in a condo so many of the sure fire add ons like chicken wire would not work. Lastly, I did search the forum and there were only a couple of links.

Last edited:

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi! How old is the screen mesh itself? Eventually that mesh will tear and break even if you've pushed it back in place.
What if you purchase new mesh and new cord (if it's that style)? It'll be a lot stronger and better able to hold up.
I don't know of a way to reinforce it but maybe a home improvement store might be able to help with that.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

riley1

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Thanks for your reply. Actually, I replaced the screen about 2 years ago! The last one was fine (for 16 years) until a foster kitten got to it! I will ask at the hardware store, someone must have a solution!

5starcathotel

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
One option, depending on your budget and condo restrictions, might be to investigate a security screen. These are very strong, secure, steel screens. The steel mesh is secured not with flimsy spline, but with a steel frame.