Cat Is Terrified Of Me But Codependent?

squirrelymonki

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hey all,

So my cat Mau, who has been having the tummy issues etc I post about...This cat is terrified of me. He flinches when I go to touch him, he runs off when I talk to him and hides in his litter box. His eyes go wide, his ears flat and his body pressed down. It's like I am the Devil. But...he can't deal when I leave the room, and will latch on to me when I change his food, scoop out his litter box etc.

What gives?

* He was a pretty feral/fearful stray that was essentially left to fend for himself by his former owner until he was turned over to the shelter I rescued him from...does that answer my own question?*

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have no idea. Is he scared of you or hands? Some feral cats are scared of hands. Perhaps he wants to be by you, just not your scary hands?
I would try sitting, not looking at him, purring and keeping my hand in a fist while I watch TV on low. Maybe even through in a slow cat blink if you can. Don't pet him if he approaches until he is OK with hands. There are articles online on how to get feral cats used to hands. For some reason feral cats don't view a fist as threat as much as an open hand.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

squirrelymonki

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have no idea. Is he scared of you or hands? Some feral cats are scared of hands. Perhaps he wants to be by you, just not your scary hands?
I would try sitting, not looking at him, purring and keeping my hand in a fist while I watch TV on low. Maybe even through in a slow cat blink if you can. Don't pet him if he approaches until he is OK with hands. There are articles online on how to get feral cats used to hands. For some reason feral cats don't view a fist as threat as much as an open hand.
That's the weirder thing: He's CONSTANTLY licking my hands and chewing on them playfully. He also lays his head in my open hands. But if I go to approach him, it's like I have a machete. But then he'll run over to me and pounce on me.