Cat Is Suddenly Terrified Of Everything.

Georgine

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello! I just created this account because I'm desperate to help my poor little guy!
My cat is a 9month old short hair. He is utd on all of his shots and has been neutered. He is normally fearless and full of energy - he loves going outside and doing normal cat things.
This morning when I work up he was in the corner of our sunroom and he was terrified. His pupils were huge and he was shaking. When I closed the door he shot up about 4 feet and was even more scared.
Later in the afternoon I decided to take him to the vet to make sure he was ok. Bloodwork and urine sample came back perfect and they can't find anything wrong with him.
Since we've gotten home with him, he's once again shaking in the corner of the room. I have no idea what happened to him and I feel horrible! No idea what to do.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. Something scared the crap out of him! You mentioned sunroom - screens to the outside? Did he have a confrontation with stray/feral that was outside?

How is he acting away from the area he was scared in? If he is acting OK in other places of the home, don't allow him access to the sunroom for now. Look for signs of urine spray or other indications of a stray cat - or other animal - in/around that area. Check for fallen debris (trees, anything else around that area) to see if you can find something that might have spooked him.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Georgine

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
It seems that way! He has never been afraid of anything!
He slept in bed with me and wanted out of the room around 4am. So I let him out and went back to bed. I woke up later and he was acting scared in the living room. He had not been in the sun room yet.
I opened the front door to let him out and he slowly creeped out and then when I closed the door he sprung up like a crazy train.
So he was acting weird before he went into the sun room.
I'm not sure what could have scared him in the house aside from my other car.. She is totally fine and normal!

Georgine

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm in Michigan so it's been raining for about a month now - but no thunder. And I haven't heard anything get knocked over. I have no idea what is freaking him out!

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Keep looking for something that might have happened - there is always a reason. It's just so hard, because so many things we take for granted can truly freak out a cat. For now, I would be inclined to keep him inside, and away from the front door, if I understand you correctly. Something went on outside that truly upset him.

Georgine

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you, will do! He's staying indoors for a while..

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Unless you have a ten foot fence any number of animals that would consider him prey can have gotten into your yard - coyotes, raccoons, weasels of various sorts. Cats know they are prey when confronted by a predator. Your boy being brave hasn't had practice running and hiding. If you let him back on the porch be sure to give a good secure place to hide, somewhere a coyote couldn't get him - a really tall cat tree for example.

mperry29

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I had a similar situation happen 2 weeks ago today. My cat which I adopted about 6 months ago started hiding. He has never been too happy when I approach him, but he would always lay with me at night. for the last 2 weeks, all he does is hide. He is coming out to eat, when I am sleeping. I did catch him and go to the vet a couple of days ago. They found nothing wrong. I have no idea what happened, but I am sick over this.

jefferd18

Ms. Jeff's Legacy
Top Cat
Purraise
I had a similar situation happen 2 weeks ago today. My cat which I adopted about 6 months ago started hiding. He has never been too happy when I approach him, but he would always lay with me at night. for the last 2 weeks, all he does is hide. He is coming out to eat, when I am sleeping. I did catch him and go to the vet a couple of days ago. They found nothing wrong. I have no idea what happened, but I am sick over this.

Once again, folks, look at what time of year it is- firework season. A lot of cats are not too happy to have anyone approach them, even the person they love the most, but after time (sometimes years) it will lessen. One day he will be like "oh, its you,..whew.":)

mperry29

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi Georgine! Could it have been fireworks? Some of my cats are petrified this time of year.
I don't think so. it happened 2 weeks ago. I wish the vet had offered me something to go on. I feel like something horrible is going to happen to him if this does not get rectified. When I find his hiding spot and get him out, he is happy to sit with me and get patted. Then he goes and hides again, SOME WHERE ELSE!

jefferd18

Ms. Jeff's Legacy
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't think so. it happened 2 weeks ago. I wish the vet had offered me something to go on. I feel like something horrible is going to happen to him if this does not get rectified. When I find his hiding spot and get him out, he is happy to sit with me and get patted. Then he goes and hides again, SOME WHERE ELSE!

The teenagers in my area have been shooting off fireworks since mid-June. The vet didn't offer you anything more because it isn't a medical problem. What would happen to him? I think something just scared him, probably the least littlest thing, and he will come around. It sounds like you are already on the right path by getting him out and having him sit by you, he is viewing you as his protector.

mperry29

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The teenagers in my area have been shooting off fireworks since mid-June. The vet didn't offer you anything more because it isn't a medical problem. What would happen to him? I think something just scared him, probably the least littlest thing, and he will come around. It sounds like you are already on the right path by getting him out and having him sit by you, he is viewing you as his protector.
Thanks for replying. I just wonder if going and getting him out is the right thing because then he finds a new place to hide! I also feel that I need to try to keep making him feel safe with me. I have only had him for 6 months. He came from a rescue where he was found as a stray, picked up by someone who kept him for 3 weeks, then turned him in to animal control. Poor old guy has already been thru alot, and now this

jefferd18

Ms. Jeff's Legacy
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks for replying. I just wonder if going and getting him out is the right thing because then he finds a new place to hide! I also feel that I need to try to keep making him feel safe with me. I have only had him for 6 months. He came from a rescue where he was found as a stray, picked up by someone who kept him for 3 weeks, then turned him in to animal control. Poor old guy has already been thru alot, and now this

You are very welcome. Is there anyway that you could sit down by his hiding place, softly talk to him and maybe give him a treat?

I have one that is the same way-he too came from a rescue. His litter mates were friendly and thus adopted out quickly, but because of the way "Darby" would hiss and run from people he was left behind for months at my vet's office. But with love, patience, and attention, I am happy to say that he has come along way in the last three years.

mperry29

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
You are very welcome. Is there anyway that you could sit down by his hiding place, softly talk to him and maybe give him a treat?

I have one that is the same way-he too came from a rescue. His litter mates were friendly and thus adopted out quickly, but because of the way "Darby" would hiss and run from people he was left behind for months at my vet's office. But with love, patience, and attention, I am happy to say that he has come along way in the last three years.
I will give it a try. He is not much on treats! I sure hope he comes around soon. It breaks my heart. He is 9+ with FIV! I miss seeing him hanging out in the chair when I come home. The dog went to sleep with him for a while last night while he was out in the kitchen! Again, thank you so much. I am glad that Darby came around for you.

jefferd18

Ms. Jeff's Legacy
Top Cat
Purraise
I will give it a try. He is not much on treats! I sure hope he comes around soon. It breaks my heart. He is 9+ with FIV! I miss seeing him hanging out in the chair when I come home. The dog went to sleep with him for a while last night while he was out in the kitchen! Again, thank you so much. I am glad that Darby came around for you.

Thank you, and your kitty too will come around.

It doesn't have to be a treat, cats also relax when they are playing, so you can use string, (or anything else) and entice him into some play time.

Another suggestion: As a kid we moved a lot and when we would get to our new home my mother would place a little butter on our cats whiskers, by the time they would lick it off they felt completely at ease with their new surroundings. True story.

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The dog cares and will be there for him when you can't be. That will help.

mperry29

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you, and your kitty too will come around.

It doesn't have to be a treat, cats also relax when they are playing, so you can use string, (or anything else) and entice him into some play time.

Another suggestion: As a kid we moved a lot and when we would get to our new home my mother would place a little butter on our cats whiskers, by the time they would lick it off they felt completely at ease with their new surroundings. True story.
Just wanted to let you know that when I was holding the cat for a bit yesterday, I gave him a little dab of butter. He did lick it up! He is still hiding, but I am still trying!