Cat is suddenly scared of a room

Micaela227

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello everyone, its my first time in this site so I am not sure if this is the right place/way to post this, but I really need your help.
My cat Brian, almost 3 years old, has been living with us in the same house for the last two years. He is very friendly with everyone, especially with me. Today, I walked into the living room and he was in the middle of the room, frozen, as if he was watching something and was scared of it. There wasn't anything out of the ordinary in the room at all. So I went to pick him up to see what was wrong and he freaked out and he attacked me. That's not the problem, I should had given him his space. The problem is that he can't go into that room anymore, and when he does he walks close to the floor, jumps at every sound no matter how small it is, and keeps looking aroud as if he is expecting something to attack him. He loved that room, he hangs out in there all the time.
Has this happened to someone else? Do you know how can i help him? Should i take him to the vet? Again, i'm sorry if this is the wrong place to post this, i just don't know what to do. Thanks!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Micaela227

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I should add that he acts completely normal in any other room of the house.

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I wold guess that something really did spook him there. I’ve had a cat vet bitten by. Spider and it totally sent him flying. I would ecanine the room catefully. Check kitty overfor any irritated places. If any other animals was outside the room, that could do it too. Raccoons looked in a bedroom window here. I have to keep that window covered now. A loud knock on our door can freak my kitties out for a bit too. Maybe vacuum the room as well. I have had a flea outbreak in a specific room that kept the kitties away. At first I had no idea what was going on. Finally I found a flea and it all made sense. Not one cat would go in that room and I don’t blames them. Once the room was clear, they slowly investigated and returned. As you feel you have addressed any issues, slowly show kitty that the threat is under control and he should gain courage and return. Pot kitty! I hope it’s something easily found and solved. BYW and new cleaning products or scented things could be another problem as well as any new item in the room. Anything from a stuffed toy to a new rug or chair can be scary. Please do let us know how things progress.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi! :yeah: Everything that Jcatbird Jcatbird mentioned are all the things that came to my mind as well. New or recently cleaned furniture/carpeting, scented candles that weren't there before, even a new throw pillow or couch blanket could cause an issue. Scour the room over looking for anything new/different - and yes, vacuum the floor too. If you started using new vacuum bags and just recently vacuumed that room only - that could be the source of the problem as well. Any chance a mouse or other small critter found a way into that room? Keep us posted - I hope to hear from you soon that you found the 'culprit'.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I know you said living room and that normally means nothing like a water leak, etc like a bathroom or laundry room. Any electrical equipment in there that might have sparked or done something out of the ordinary? I do believe that your cat saw something and that it is not just a strange cat mood that they can get into.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Micaela227

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi everyone, thank you so much for answering. I just wanted to update you: Brian is still a little nervous around the room at ramdom moments, but he is not scared out of his mind anymore. He even sleep there today, so im guessing he is gonna be completely back to normal in a few days. I still have no idea what scared him, but im assuming he probably saw a spider or something like that (he hates really small bugs). Again, thank you again for taking time to read and answer! You are the best xoxo