Cat is still displaying discharge after Convenia shot

Kennethkeen

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The other day I made a topic asking about anal glands infections my female cat is starting to display white liquid substance from the vaginal area, the vet said it should take a week or two to heal via voicemail I wasn't able to get them called back in time though is this a normal response to the shot to still see white liquid discharge?

NekoM

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
If it was a bacterial infection it will continue to drain until the antibiotics do their job. When a person has a similar infection the area is generally packed with gauze to absorb any drainage, which doesn’t work with cats. Are you doing any warm compresses?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Covenia is an injectable, long-lasting antibiotic. It was only this past Tuesday that she received the shot, correct? So, as the vet indicated, it may take a bit longer for it to take full effect. If you haven't seen improvement at the two-week mark, call the vet and tell them. It might be that another antibiotic would be more effective, if Covenia doesn't resolve the infection.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Is the white substance really from the vaginal area and not the anal glands? I thought the original issue was with the anal gland. If this is a new issue, has she been spayed? How is she acting? Does she appear to feel ill? Did you see the white discharge originally or is this new? Does it smell?

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Has she been spayed? I would get her back to the vet for a check for pyometra which could be deadly.