Cat is starting to lick himself raw. Maybe going out of the litterbox too. Was fixed a week ago an

luvzmykatz

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My 5 month old male kitten is licking himself raw in a couple of spots. Under his back leg and a little bit on his belly by his back leg. I had him fixed exactly a week ago and all seemed fine. I tried to keep him quiet but that's almost impossible with kittens he seems to be healing fine but just last night I noticed a few spots where's he's licked all his fur off under his leg and at his belly. It's not sore or bleeding yet but all the fur is gone so it won't be too long if he continues. He maybe going outside of his litterbox too. I have 2 cats and haven't seen either of them do it so I can't say it's him for sure it might be the older one.

I'm not sure why he is licking himself raw both cats get along and seem to really like each other so I don't think it has anything to do with their relationship. I've been a bit stressed and haven't been around much so I'm kind of wondering if that's it. I work 2 jobs and sometimes it's hard to give them all the attention they may need but I always make an effort to play, pick up and pet them at least for a half an hour before I go to bed. I do the same in the morning no matter how tired I get. They get wet food in the morning and dry food at night either Science Diet or Nutromax wet food and either Science Diet, Nutromax or Purina One Dry food. I just bought some Nutromax Dry noncorn formula that was on sale. That the only thing new he's been exposed to. My other cat seems sensitive to fish so I've kept them both on a largely chicken diet sometimes turkey.

I was thinking I would just trying a third littlerbox to see if that would help with the problem of one of them going out of the box but I'm not sure what to do about the problem of my little guy licking himself raw. Any suggestions. I was thinking of feliway. I can't afford a vet visit right now. I will take him if it becomes much worse but if it's something simple I'd like to spare myself the expense and time. Also the Vet will most likely be closed early today and all of tommorrow.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. I've had cats for 30 years and they always surprise me with new problems. I've never had a cat that did this.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

luvzmykatz

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I forgot to add that neither of my cats has fleas. I checked them both thoroughly so it's can't be a flea allergy either.

just mike

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The general rule of thumb is 1 litter box per cat +1. So if you have 2 cats, 3 litter boxes are recommended. I know that is not always possible with small homes and apartments so do the best you can ;) Quite possibly the baby is feeling pain from the wound when trying to get into the litter box.

The licking could be quite a few things. What you described seems to be something that just began, so I'm guessing it is some type of reaction from the neutering. It may be a reaction to the anesthesia, something different in the home, or possibly diet. His skin may just be dryer than usual. Sounds like diet is probably not it, but could be.

I would do a followup with the vet that did the neutering and let him take a look at him. His wound may look like it's healing but you might want to make sure there are no complications which you can't identify. Just my :2cts:

luvzmykatz

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks I'll get another litter box today and see if that helps. I'm thinking it's related to his surgery too since he been on several foods before and didn't have a reaction. Maybe stress too from his surgery. I'll see how he looks tonight and make an appoint with a vet on Sat. if I can. He hasn't been acting sick or in pain. He's been all over the place running and jumping as usual.

barbb

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If he got his kitten shots at the same time he was neutered, it could be a reaction to the shots. If the shots contained an adjuvant (substance to boost the efficacy of the vaccine) it can cause a sensitivity to food. If that is the case it will go away in time but it could take several months during which you may have to give him anti inflammatory meds.

Even if his itching is not caused by a vaccine you can look into giving him homeopathic anti-inflammatory medications. As with any inflammatory response, it can take a while to calm down even with homeopathic or other medication-  just be very patient and understand this may take time to clear up no matter what you give him :-(, even tho I know it can be very frustrating to see your little kitty so aggravated. 

the_food_lady

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Sometimes cats will keep licking an area because the area is painful/uncomfortable.

If I was you I'd have him re-examined by the Vet.  It wouldn't hurt for them to collect a urine sample and run a urinalysis to check his urine for signs of an infection.   Sometimes a bladder infection/urinary tract infection in a cat will cause them to keep licking their lower belly where it's painful/tender.   Peeing outside of the litterbox AND licking that area can be a sign of a UTI or bladder stones or crystals, etc.  

You should ask Vet about getting an e-collar for him (one of those plastic cone things), he should probably be wearing it for a bit or else he'll lick the skin raw and it will never heal.

barbb

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree, he needs to go back to the vet as well, as you said too, that you will make an appointment on Saturday. I hope he will be ok!

luvzmykatz

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Well Odie is doing ok but is still licking off his fur on his belly and is very pink.  I'm not sure if it's from his constant licking or its an infection.  He has a vet appointment on Saturday.  That's the best I could do with the Holiday and it's just really pink not bleeding or scabbed.   I'll try some vasoline as a cowork suggested.   The extra litterbox seemed to work he's not going on the floor and he's still as energetic as ever so  think  the vet can wait till Saturday.   He did get a Rabies shot when he was fixed so a reaction to tht is possible I guess. 

saglink

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I had a cat once the licked herself raw on her shoulders. She started it after I brought another cat home. She was part Siamese & they did to like being the only cat. The vet first checked her for a food allergy but concluded she was stressed. She was put on valium (cats can also live stressful lives!!!!) & wore a baby tee shirt so she couldn't lick those spots. Eventually she was able to get off the valium & didn't need the shirt. She was cute in that shirt, however.

luvzmykatz

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Well the vet basically only looked at him for 2 minutes gave him a antibiotic shot and then a short laser treatment.   I wasn't impressed and it was so short I forgot to ask about a possible reaction to the Rabies shot he had.    I got him home and he was still licking at the same area.   My next step will be to try feliway.   Anyway I wasn't impressed with the vet.   I may also try a cone so he can't constantly lick that area.  If there are any other suggestions the area is under his back leg and on his belly in the rear area.  It's now getting worse and very pink.  The vet said I could put neosporan on it but that just seemed to make him overgroom the area even more.   Shirts won't keep him from grooming the area either.  Do they make cat diapers or something to put around the back legs.   What else can I do to relax him if needed.   All suggestions are welcome.   I worried that it may become infected it's pretty red and there's some open skin.   Of all the cat issues I've dealt with this is the strangest to me.  

Last edited: