Cat is so jumpy!! Scaredy cat!!

fitzleigh1985

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I am so concerned about my cat's behavior. He does this all the time. Did it again just a few minutes ago, in fact. Using tonight as an example, he was curled up next to me peacefully on the sofa. I was sitting, watching a movie. I shifted EVER SO SLIGHTLY and it startled him so severely that he literally CLEARED EVERYTHING off the end table in his completely panicked attempt to get away. It's little things like this that get to him all the time. He only cares about getting away when little bumps or little movements scare him. He'll knock everything down that is in his way, including people, in a blind panic. I worry about him so much. He is very hard to reassure afterwards as he becomes tense and withdrawn. As I write this he is curled up in a ball under my desk. He will not come to my sweet calls, shaking the great can (which he usually can't resist) and if I try to grab him and pull him out he becomes stiff and resistant to me. And all I did was shift m position to be more comfortable! I didn't even touch him! He's not always asleep when this happens. It happens whether he's awake or asleep. Does anybody else have a cat like this?? He's so sweet and lovable and tender otherwise....

ondine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have two cats like that. Both were abused as kittens, so I chalk it up to post traumatic stress. Do you know whether this happened with your kitty?

We do all we can not to startle them but things happen (Our Gracie levitates when a truck passes on the road). The vet can recommend drugs. Maybe you can talk to him/her about that.

Good luck - it is hard to help when you don't know what the problem is.

ritz

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Ritz is a skittish cat, but not as scaredy/skittish as your cat.

I knew Ritz' background before I officially adopted her.  So from the very beginning I told her when I was coming next to her, around her, behind her, when I was getting food, etc.  I still do this occasionally when she seems spooked by something/some one.  You might try telling her you're moving before you actually do, in a "matter of fact" tone of voice.

Also, next time he hides, let him be.  You could try sitting next to him on the floor and reassure him, but I wouldn't try getting him out from his safe place when he is scared.

katluver4life

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ritz is a skittish cat, but not as scaredy/skittish as your cat.

I knew Ritz' background before I officially adopted her.  So from the very beginning I told her when I was coming next to her, around her, behind her, when I was getting food, etc.  I still do this occasionally when she seems spooked by something/some one.  You might try telling her you're moving before you actually do, in a "matter of fact" tone of voice.

Also, next time he hides, let him be.  You could try sitting next to him on the floor and reassure him, but I wouldn't try getting him out from his safe place when he is scared.

Mine also are skittish, though they have improved greatly over time. When my male was younger, any unexpected noise would send him flying for cover. He even once went flying into one of my windows to try to "get away" from the apt maintenance guy one day. The use of feliway diffusers have greatly improved his overall sense of well being imo, you could maybe try those around the house. But I think mostly it's just time and feeling that they are secure, is what they need. When your guy ducks for cover, just let him do so. After he gets spooked, just sit with him and reassure him in a soothing voice, let him come out in his own time. When I get ready to move while Boots is laying next to me, I lay my hand on him, pet him, then I move. It will get better with time. Today I had to have a guy in for some work, and although Boots kept his distance, he did not "take off" . He actually was a bit curious and watched. I was so proud of him LOL.

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When he hides, don't fuss at him or try to drag him out or try to "reassure" him. When you do that you are adding stress, and confirming to him that there was something to be frightened of.

There was a thread here not too long ago,someone who had a cat with this problem as severe as your kitty's.

I have some questions:

Has he always been this way?
How old is he?
Do you know his history?
Is he neutered?
What do you feed him?
Does he play with you?

What have you tried, to help him feel more settled? Feliway plug in diffusers? Leaving a radio playing softly all the time? Rescue Remedy?

Has he had a check up?

Welcome to TCS. I'll see if I can find that other thread maybe there will be something in it that may help you and your boy.

Here's the other thread, if you feel like reading it.

http://www.thecatsite.com/t/254820/8-year-old-cat-terrfied-of-everything

Last edited:

edteach

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Ran across this when looking for info on my cat. She is about 6yo and I got her from a shelter as a kitten. She has never been abused and I think the worst thing ever done to her was me clapping my hand saying no when she jumped out of my arms cutting my hand bad. nothing so much as tossed at her for any behavior, very spoiled. But she will walk across our couch and the remote which is small if she does not see until she is walking on it will jump out of her skin. I have seen her get rattled by how she moved and jump. If anyone rings the door bell she is under the bed for 20 min. If I move wrong she is gone. I think some cats are just that way. She will want to go out on our screened in porch [she is an indoor cat only] and after calling me to the door pawing at it, I open in she will look out the door that is open for 5 min before walking cautiously out it. This is a good thing in some ways. Once when I went to get the mail the door did not close all the way, she had pushed it open and was walking so cautiously along side the house and I yelled her name and she squatted down and I picked her up and returned her to the house. We have wild bob cat and coyotes here and she could be in danger if she ran off.

esmeralda65

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I rehomed Esmeralda last May, and it's taken months to see improvement. Things are looking up, but tonight, while I exercised in the house, she lost the plot with me for a few hours? I wasn't thrashing about; I know not to make sudden/fast movements near her, but she dropped her shoulders and proper deep growled and hissed at me?
I've never owned a cat, so taking her on, in her stressed state was a huge challenge. What I've even less idea about is this outburst? She's fine now, snuggled in her usual spot on my bed, so all good?
Any suggestions greatly accepted [emoji]128512[/emoji]

ondine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

Ran across this when looking for info on my cat. She is about 6yo and I got her from a shelter as a kitten. She has never been abused and I think the worst thing ever done to her was me clapping my hand saying no when she jumped out of my arms cutting my hand bad. nothing so much as tossed at her for any behavior, very spoiled. But she will walk across our couch and the remote which is small if she does not see until she is walking on it will jump out of her skin. I have seen her get rattled by how she moved and jump. If anyone rings the door bell she is under the bed for 20 min. If I move wrong she is gone. I think some cats are just that way. She will want to go out on our screened in porch [she is an indoor cat only] and after calling me to the door pawing at it, I open in she will look out the door that is open for 5 min before walking cautiously out it. This is a good thing in some ways. Once when I went to get the mail the door did not close all the way, she had pushed it open and was walking so cautiously along side the house and I yelled her name and she squatted down and I picked her up and returned her to the house. We have wild bob cat and coyotes here and she could be in danger if she ran off.
I agree - some cats are just nervous and jumpy.  You are doing all you can to accommodate her and I and so happy you are keeping her inside.  Cats like this need all the safe space they can get.

ondine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I rehomed Esmeralda last May, and it's taken months to see improvement. Things are looking up, but tonight, while I exercised in the house, she lost the plot with me for a few hours? I wasn't thrashing about; I know not to make sudden/fast movements near her, but she dropped her shoulders and proper deep growled and hissed at me?
I've never owned a cat, so taking her on, in her stressed state was a huge challenge. What I've even less idea about is this outburst? She's fine now, snuggled in her usual spot on my bed, so all good?
Any suggestions greatly accepted [emoji]128512[/emoji]
As long as you offer her safe spaces and do your best not to startle her, you are doing all you can.  Sometimes, all we do is not enough.

The fact that you are giving her a safe home counts for a lot.