Cat is sneezing and coughing/choking(?).

Has this happened to anyone else?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Petitenoisette

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat has been sneezing frequently and coughing/choking(?) a lot as well. Being the fact that the outbreak of the virus is going on, I was wondering if anyone on here knows whats going wrong so I can let my vet know.(They said they could be able to help me if I know what's going on.) For context, my cat is 6 years old and has been sneezing and coughing a lot, even while resting, and will make choking sounds once or twice a day or two. She hasn't been eating anything new, and she stays inside a lot, so I don't think it's an allergy either. Does anyone know what i could be? Any help is greatly appreciated, and so are links to informative articles on this topic!

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Where are you located, if you don't mind me asking? My cat is doing this because of seasonal allergies. She is pretty snotty. We give a daily antihistamine which helps. The coughing is from excess drainage, just like in humans.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Petitenoisette

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Where are you located, if you don't mind me asking? My cat is doing this because of seasonal allergies. She is pretty snotty. We give a daily antihistamine which helps. The coughing is from excess drainage, just like in humans.
Im in Virginia, around the northern mos part. Also I forgot to mention she has discharge around the eyes. This is the first time this happened btw. ( She only used to sneeze.)

gilmargl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Im in Virginia, around the northern mos part. Also I forgot to mention she has discharge around the eyes. This is the first time this happened btw. ( She only used to sneeze.)
One of my cats, 14 years old, has been sneezing/coughing (not sure which, as it definitely doesn't sound like a kitten sneezing) and has got me rather worried. Not so much because of THE VIRUS, as she's an indoor cat, but because she's never had this problem before. Yesterday, I decided that if she does it again I would call the vet. But she's been quiet for 24 hours, so I can't imagine it's anything serious. There is a lot of pollen about, cars, windows, and anything left outside get covered in a sticky yellow dust.

She used to get a watery discharge from one eye in springtime, so perhaps this time it's a mild, drier allergy. She makes a very strange noise, metallic? or maybe like plastc? which doesn't sound like it could come from a cat at all. Other than that, she has no other unusual symptoms which could help a vet with a diagnosis. I'm going to wait till lockdown comes to an end, and take her to the vet for a senior-cat medical exam.

Five years ago I took a foster cat to a vet after she started coughing or sneezing. She also had watering eyes. It was about 9 months after she'd given birth to kittens. I was worried that she had asthma. She was given antibiotics, and eye drops as it was assumed she was suffering from a form of cat flu, which she'd no doubt picked up when she was a kitten. It took a month to clear up completely, but she's had no problems since then.

So maybe, your cat also had these problems as a kitten. A herpes virus can always reappear, but fortunately it is only dangerous in young kittens. So good luck.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. Will your vet accept a video? If so, that will at least show them what your cat is experiencing. That along with a close up pic of her eye discharge would at least let them see all aspects of her symptoms.

If she has had similar incidents, even of less severity, in the past, this could be a herpes flare up as they can pretty much crop up at anytime, especially in times of added stress. Aside from that, seasonal allergies can affect even indoor-only cats, so yours going out even a little bit is no guarantee that it couldn't be an allergy. And, cats, just like humans, can acquire these allergies at any point in time in their life.