Cat is skittish??

Dipsuk

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi cat lovers,
We have our first pet cat in our family with twin 10 year olds and 3 adults. We got him when he was 8 weeks old and have had him now for 5 months. While he is a great kitten and loves to hang out with us, despite us being a noisy household especially when the kids are at home. He in fact seeks us out and is within 3 feet or less, lying next to us , meowing , playing etc. However when anyone is on the move, he is always super alert, as if danger lurks all around and that he needs to run for his life, just in case. He sometimes runs and almost runs and then stops when he realizes there is no danger and then is back with us. That said, he sometimes runs away from any one who is approaching and is super cautious. He does not hide or have any other issues like peeing outside the litter box etc.
He is also not a lap kitty. Does not prefer to be on anyone's lap. Probably feels no one is still enough? But by all other measures very friendly and curious and loves our company. We do pick him up often and pet him for a few seconds and when he starts squirming we let him go. Naturally it is also hard to cut his nails or give him that occasional once a month quick bath.
He has been kept as a single house cat and at night we keep him in his room and close the access to the rest of house. He does relax in there though getting him to go there after a whole day of hanging out with us is a whole another affair - enticing with food and or treats is our best solution.
My question is how can we get him to be more friendly, i.e. trust when we cut his nails, jump up and rest on our laps, not be so skittish when he hears footsteps on the wooden floors, etc. Thank you in advance for any insights and suggestions.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
My cat Peaches has never been a lap cat since she was 5 weeks though 8 yrs old now she is more affectionate. My cat Maggie is disturbed by every little noise. It took almost a year for her to not runaway from strangers. For nails,I take my cat Coco to the vet. She licks my fingers whenever I try to cut. Sooner you start trimming his nails and brushing his teeth the better. Put him on your lap and let him check out the brush
Cats do not like to have bathes and do not need them. They clean themselves so they need to be brushed every day. cats do not like to be left alone which is why keeping him in a room would be hard. I know, sounds like a lot of work but it will be worth it!

Last edited:

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Time is probably the answer to most of your issues, including the skittishness. And let's be honest, how many six year oldl kids want to cuddle with Mama all the time when there are games to play? He will almost certainly age out of most of this!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Dipsuk

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you both. It was very helpful to see that it is in the normal range of behavior and just continue to have patience. And yes I need to introduce the brushing. We all love him and he does return that favor in his cute feline way. Sharing a few pics of Bolt :) (named by the kids). The last pic is the forlorn look each night just as I close the door to his room. About the night routine , do they build a better bond and likely more confidence ( less skittish) when they can sleep with their humans in the house ? I am a little apprehensive about messing with our sleep, especially my daughter's who is most fond of him. Any thoughts ? Thank you again ! You are all so nice ...great forums! PXL_20211211_130115208.PORTRAIT~2.jpg PXL_20211211_135627040.PORTRAIT~2.jpg PXL_20211212_022805292.PORTRAIT~2.jpg

AelitaJezebelle

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat is the same way, and she's 3 years old. I've had her since she was 3 months, and she's always been a skittish cat. She runs away if anyone approaches and is slow to approach people herself, and she's not fond of being held at all. She will, however, lay on me sometimes or in my lap. Just like people, cats have different personalities and preferences, and I've come to accept this is just her personality, being a skittish little bean.

Personally, I do feel like letting Diane sleep with me has improved our bond. However, there are some nights where she has the zoomies and spends most of the time zooming around the house or attacking my feet. I've gotten used to it, so it doesn't bother me much unless she's doing it too much...in which case she gets sent out of the room for the night. Really up to you whether you want to let your cat sleep with you or not.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I can't imagine not allowing my cat to sleep with me, although we have several who do not, and seem to have wonderful bonds with their cats. The following articles might provide some direction, should you decide to allow him to roam at night, and sleep with chosen family members.

vince

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Handling him when he's sleepy will help acclimate him to it and will make it easier to groom him and trim his nails. Try and do this after a meal later at night.

Bolt most likely will get more cuddly as he gets older. All the cats I've had have done so.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
yes, kittens are not known to be really cuddly. He will be much better as he ages. If you let him out at night he may sleep with your children and they wouldn't be as disturbed. My cats sleep all night with us and know our routine. Cats do not need to be bathed as dogs do, they are self-cleaning. if he has his scratching places, nail trimming shouldn't have to be done much either. Just check once in a while so they don't grow into their pads. I've had many cats go all their lives with no trimming and no baths! As for the skittishness, he should get used to your family's movements in time, children just move too fast and are too loud for cats, but he will get used to it, most likely by the time he is 18 months old. with that many people around, he feels crowded and is afraid of being cornered and/or stepped on or attacked. These things just take time and maturity. Encourage him with treats to come closer and be with people. Have your kids have playtime with him with a wand or cat toys that are put in a bag with catnip to keep them fresh.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Dipsuk

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Wow - great advice! Thank you all so much! Its one thing to read articles, but to hear about everyone's experiences with your own kittens and cats helps a lot. Thank you!!