Cat is restless and wont stop meowing

shebaa

Queen of Sheba
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My cat (2.5 yr old neutered) loves the outdoors and when we were living at my parents house, he got out at every chance he got. I moved out 7 weeks ago so he no longer is able to get out but now he meows on and off day and night. I try to tire him out, he has cat towers and different types of toys but nothing interests him more than go outside. He will literally sit at the window or in front of the door meowing and sometimes just pacing back and forth meowing and its only getting worse. Am I crazy to think maybe he needs some anxiety meds? I live in an apartment so I'm not comfortable walking him outside as I don't know when someone is gonna come out with their dog. Any ideas to help him to stop?

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think all of us have gone through this at one time or another, after burying numerous little ones who were killed outside and now my cats getting leukemia from being around ferals and strays, All my cats except for my outside strays are strictly indoors. Nothing is worth the heartache of finding them dead. They are animals and don't understand the reasoning behind not going out to a place they love. It takes a long time to change this behavior, but it can be done. Do you have any place at all that could hold a large dog kennel or chicken coop to bring him out to? a small yard, a balcony? if not, a cage that can be suspended from a window? If none of these are possible, you'll have to grit your teeth and ignore him. Cats absolutely hate change, and you have handed two to your boy, moving and no longer going outside. It will take a long time for him to adjust. If you stay firm and ignore him, it WILL happen, it just takes a lot longer than we like. a calming agent would not be a bad idea, you could first try some calming treats from Amazon or any pet site. They take a while to really work, so give them a week or so. If they don't, don't go over the amount suggested, get a stronger one from your vet. I wish you both well!

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
If you have a balcony, you might be able to put up some chicken wire or similar for him to get some air. Nobel and Lily used to love the balcony.

Window sniffs can help calm him too.

It does take time. Keep providing enrichment. There are electronic toys you can try and you can make DIY food puzzles etc.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
If not a balcony, you could consider installing a cat window box or shelf (most can be easily removed when needed) to give him a larger space at the window to hang out.

It is also possible that he hears/senses activity outside your door from passers-by, up to and including other cats, or dogs. Other than keeping him away from the door, this should pass eventually just like him wanting to go outside will. 7 weeks is a pretty short time to expect him to adapt.

Re: the door blockade, you can construct a temporary one by hooking together 3 panels that encompass the doorway. The panels can be movable for ease of you getting in and out of the door. I've included a pic of a blockade used to separate spaces. The panels are hooked together with zip ties to more or less make an accordion screen. In your case, you might want to use another medium for the panels or cover them so it is not see-through. This might help to speed up the adaptation process by not being so close to the door.
Shelving blockade.png

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

shebaa

Queen of Sheba
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I can't leave any furniture outside. Thinking about a rolling cat cage at the door. Or what FeebysOwner FeebysOwner showed, where would i get those panels?

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
All stray I have rescued are like that first couple of days. Catify your apartment
Tower,tall and rectangular scratch post,boxes m chew toys,wand wit mouse attachment. See if she likes to be brushed and clicker train for fun

Biomehanika

Toxoplasmosis Mind Control Slave
Adult Cat
Purraise
My youngest doesn’t try to get outside but he is super hyperactive at times… restless, endless zoomies and energy and trilling, harassing and jumping my senior girl because he wants to play (and she doesn’t), but only interested in limited play time with me/toys….

It isn’t a 24/7 fix, but one thing has helped tremendously to calm him and keep his mind occupied when it’s time to chill out a bit….
CARTOONS AND ANIMAL DOCUMENTARIES. He sees me going to turn on the laptop (which is hooked up to my TV via HDMI) and I say “Do you want to watch TV?” and he gets sooo excited, he knows exactly what it means and immediately stops his madman antics and sits down patiently waiting for his shows to come on. Sometimes for only 15 minutes, sometimes for hours, but he really enjoys it. His favourite cartoon is Bluey and he seems to enjoy all animal documentaries but favors ones with big cats. He also enjoys videos of birds and mice but that is more so hyper TV watching where he will actually attack the screen, whereas the cartoons and documentaries are more so calming/just for keeping his interest without over stimulating him. You could try it out.

savannahme

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat (2.5 yr old neutered) loves the outdoors and when we were living at my parents house, he got out at every chance he got. I moved out 7 weeks ago so he no longer is able to get out but now he meows on and off day and night. I try to tire him out, he has cat towers and different types of toys but nothing interests him more than go outside. He will literally sit at the window or in front of the door meowing and sometimes just pacing back and forth meowing and its only getting worse. Am I crazy to think maybe he needs some anxiety meds? I live in an apartment so I'm not comfortable walking him outside as I don't know when someone is gonna come out with their dog. Any ideas to help him to stop?
I have the same issue but he doesn't want to go outside! He's driving me crazy meowing all day. I'm looking to add a kitten, maybe that will keep him occupied since he grew up with a house full of cats. I've read that it means they are bored.

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I have the same issue but he doesn't want to go outside! He's driving me crazy meowing all day. I'm looking to add a kitten, maybe that will keep him occupied since he grew up with a house full of cats. I've read that it means they are bored.
It can be boredom! How old is your cat? It can also be hyperthyroidism.

Dewey

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
You can try putting some video's for cats on YouTube. There's all sorts with fish, squirrels, birds, and mice. Think might help him feel like he is outside even though he is inside. You can also buy some grass on Amazon so he can smell and chew on that. I think a snuffle mat would be good to to put treats in to keep him busy!
Hope this helps!

KGM-in-Cali

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I can't leave any furniture outside. Thinking about a rolling cat cage at the door. Or what FeebysOwner FeebysOwner showed, where would i get those panels?
If those panels are the same type I've used, they are actually wire closet shelves. You can get them at a big box hardware store in 6-8 foot lengths for about 20 USD. Stand 3-4 on end and use zip ties to connect.

shebaa

Queen of Sheba
Alpha Cat
Purraise
i built a door blocker (like the one in the pic) with wire storage cubes that i already had and he jump to climb over and knocked it down. i bought puzzle treat feeders. giving him zesty calming bites. he has 2 towers, one is 67in tall, a tunnel, scratch box. ball rolling track toy. last resort is getting him a cat cage and put it at the doorway. but if i leave it unlock he will just jump over (only 50in tall) or if i lock him in he will hate it. i had something similar before and he didnt like being locked in :gaah::help:

KGM-in-Cali

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
If you want to use the cage, start by training him to accept (or even like it) by making it the place where good things happen. You can start feeding him only in the cage (door open), progress to feeding in cage and closing the door until finished, then wait to open the door for a couple extra minutes and extend the extra time slowly. The rest of the time, leave the cage door tied open, put toys and comfy beds inside (beds on shelves should be clamped to the shelf), and I recommend a hammock. I "crate train" all my animals for their own protection and to reduce stress if they ever have to be confined (vet, injury, disaster emergency). Several of my cats choose the cat cage to take naps and a couple of night ninjas were actually crated to sleep as youngsters, so we could sleep too (they grew out of it, but still slept many nights in the open-door cage).
There is also the option of a cat exercise wheel, not cheap, but many cats really enjoy one once they learn to use it. Wishing you strength, patience, and perseverance... it can be a tough situation.

shebaa

Queen of Sheba
Alpha Cat
Purraise
If you want to use the cage, start by training him to accept (or even like it) by making it the place where good things happen. You can start feeding him only in the cage (door open), progress to feeding in cage and closing the door until finished, then wait to open the door for a couple extra minutes and extend the extra time slowly. The rest of the time, leave the cage door tied open, put toys and comfy beds inside (beds on shelves should be clamped to the shelf), and I recommend a hammock. I "crate train" all my animals for their own protection and to reduce stress if they ever have to be confined (vet, injury, disaster emergency). Several of my cats choose the cat cage to take naps and a couple of night ninjas were actually crated to sleep as youngsters, so we could sleep too (they grew out of it, but still slept many nights in the open-door cage).
There is also the option of a cat exercise wheel, not cheap, but many cats really enjoy one once they learn to use it. Wishing you strength, patience, and perseverance... it can be a tough situation.
Thank you I'll will try to make it a happy cage for him. I ordered one

shebaa

Queen of Sheba
Alpha Cat
Purraise
so i bought a 77 inch cat cage, just a few inches short from the door. my cat climbed up and went outside. i have to return due it a bent causing it to be very wobbly. so im thinking just the regular 50inch cage...problem is, if he went over the 77in cage he can for sure go over the 50in. any ideas to block it off?

shebaa

Queen of Sheba
Alpha Cat
Purraise
The first one would be perfect but I'm not willing to pay $300+
The second one, there's no view to it so my cat can look outside

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
The first one would be perfect but I'm not willing to pay $300+
The second one, there's no view to it so my cat can look outside
These are examples. You can find your own DIY or purchase if you search the internet for ideas. However, you may have to compromise something if choosing the airlock method. You might not be able to balance him looking out the door and having an "airlock area". Unless of course you're letting him in the airlock area when no ones going to be leaving to view outside.

If you cant find a door you can settle on, or another outside viewing area that isnt the door, you're back to training your cat not to go out.

Dewey

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
You could buy some X-pen grids of Amazon and use zip ties to lay them on top