Cat Is Refusing Part Of Her Food During Transition

valentine319

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
So Houston we have a problem. For the last few days juliette has been eating raw then soft. I don't mix them. Today she acts like she's on strike. I'm one of those people that feeds first thing when I get up. I was running an hour late. I got her raw put out and she ate it happily.

When I came back I put out her soft. Sure didn't even taste it. She covered it and walked off. She'd normally eat at least half.

I know I'm worried early but what do I do if sure refuses soft and only eat raw? I'm assuming I've got no choice but to give her full raw. Has anyone else had this happen?

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Is there a problem if she eats an all raw diet? Some cats will turn up their noses at what is comparatively "junk food" after eating fresh food. You can try offering her the soft food first, then raw food afterward, or offer her soft food only for one meal and raw food only at a different meal.

On Wednesday, I trapped an abandoned feral kitten who is 5-6 weeks old and made up some Hoskins formula with goat's milk, yogurt, egg yolks to mix 50/50 with canned cat food. On the second day, I offered him some of my cats' raw food mix. He looked up at me like "I loooovvvvveee you!!!!" Now he's being picky and didn't finish his "kitty gruel" with the canned food and kitten formula this morning. So same thing. He's not liking the processed food and I have a couple of pounds of it frozen in ice cubes for him.

You can try mixing her soft food with the raw, but is there a reason you want her eating both and not a straight raw diet?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

valentine319

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I was worried with her sensitive stomach I needed to go slow. I thought since it's new to her there needed to be a slow transition.

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh yes, I see. She may have some digestive issues from a quicker switch...or she may not. I would think the transition would be easier on her tummy since you've been feeding her canned. Most issues happen when people try to switch from dry kibble to raw. That's usually too much change in stomach pH.

Try mixing a little raw into the soft then, and increase the raw as the days pass...hopefully without any tummy troubles.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

valentine319

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Well we're trying full raw today. She's so happy getting it. She dances and tries grabbing the plate. She ate a little canned soft yesterday but didn't really enjoy it. Today she stared at it like i was serving gruel. I've decided just to go forward with full raw.

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hope it works for her with no tummy upset. :crossfingers:

The little kitten who I went out and bought Greek yogurt and goat's milk for is also acting like the Hoskins formula mixed with cat food is yucky. Too bad I have a freezer bag full. Looks like hes' going raw until he's old enough to take to the shelter in a few weeks. I hope whoever adopts him will be able to get him to eat "cat food". I doubt the shelter will mention a raw diet.

Looking forward to your updates with the full rabbit! :vibes: