Cat is pooping on the floor and being more affectionate that usual

princess7807

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My cat, Lily (12 years old), has been pooping on the floor a lot lately. She has struggled with constipation for years and would sometimes poop on the floor because of that, but this seems to be different. About a month ago she had diarrhea one night. Got it all over the living room! It only happened once though. Then ever since, she has been pooping on the floor (not diarrhea but definitely not constipated either. Just.. normal. Which is pretty unusual for lily since she’s always constipated) at least a few times a week. Sometimes she goes in the corner or something, other times she goes in the litter box but stands so close to the edge that it falls on the floor. I’ve also noticed that she has gas a lot, which is unusual for her.

Another thing is that she has been very affectionate. I’m not sure if this is related though, because it started long before the bathroom issues started. I’ve been quite stressed/anxious this year so I guess I just figured that was the reason she was being so cuddly. Maybe that is the reason, I don’t know. I figured it’s worth mentioning though.

Anyway, I’m currently unemployed and can’t afford to take her to the vet right now. What could be causing this? I haven’t really noticed any strange behaviors aside from this (still eating normally and whatnot). I’m really worried about lily :(

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sounds like she is definitely having some bowel issues, when she is next in the vet ask about it and make sure you mention the gas. I think what is happening is that she is having trouble 'controlling' when and where she has her bowel movements and has to go wherever she is. If she is constipated on a regular schedule, you might enquire to your vet about introducing more fiber into her diet, a tablespoon of pure pumpkin mixed in her food, or even administering 1/4 tsp. Miralax to help her go, again mixed in food, or even some of thiose 'lickable tretas' available at most stores now. Make sure you are providing extra water too, I set several little bowls around the house and curiousity always has tehm check them out, and then tehy drink because it is 'different'. At her age she may be needing a lower sided litter box to manuever in or a high sided one with a lower entrance but both bigger in size. since her stools are normal, this may be stress related too, she may be stressed because she senses you are.....

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I have a bit of experience with cats pooping outside the litter box, as Ruby has a sensitive digestive system. Have you changed Lily's food at all lately? Does she eat just one kind of food, or different foods?

And, yes, she could definitely be reacting to your stress. Here's a couple of TCS articles with more info:
Is Your Cat Stressed Out?
You, Your Cat And Stress

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

princess7807

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have a bit of experience with cats pooping outside the litter box, as Ruby has a sensitive digestive system. Have you changed Lily's food at all lately? Does she eat just one kind of food, or different foods?

And, yes, she could definitely be reacting to your stress. Here's a couple of TCS articles with more info:
Is Your Cat Stressed Out?
You, Your Cat And Stress
Her diet is the same as it’s always been. She just eats one kind of food (she’s really picky). Although, my mom gives her treats pretty much every day, despite the fact that I ask her not to. I’m pretty sure she has gotten sick in the past from those treats, but the issues never lasted for this long. Maybe that’s it?

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Is she indoor only? Or indoor/outdoor? If she goes outside, it's possible she got into something out there that's upset her system.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
So she didn't get into something outside, so that's good. How many litter boxes do you have? Can you try putting another one out in a different location in the home. It's possible she's associating the litter box with the diarrhea she had just before this started, and that's why she's avoiding it. So a new, different, litter box might help.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

princess7807

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So she didn't get into something outside, so that's good. How many litter boxes do you have? Can you try putting another one out in a different location in the home. It's possible she's associating the litter box with the diarrhea she had just before this started, and that's why she's avoiding it. So a new, different, litter box might help.
We have two litter boxes, although she really only uses one (and it’s the one where she had diarrhea). I’ll try moving it somewhere else or getting a different box and see if that helps.